Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 06-16-2016, 05:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)

Originally Posted by GogglesPisano View Post
But still: More than a few of my passengers liked it.
That's a good point. Silly and hokey PA's by the Flight Attendants make me wince too, but I'm not the target audience, nor the arbiter of good taste for nervous and cranky passengers.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: DAL A320 CA

Originally Posted by tomgoodman View Post
That's a good point. Silly and hokey PA's by the Flight Attendants make me wince too, but I'm not the target audience, nor the arbiter of good taste for nervous and cranky passengers.
Saw the new safety video during a deadhead yesterday..no slapstick humor, just FA's from different countries doing a tasteful, painless brief. Welcome change...

Jmho..
Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012

Originally Posted by GogglesPisano View Post
I guess I'll cut back on the PA's regarding my days as Red Leader and my 15 Tie-Fighter kills.

That was then. This is now -- we are paid to transport our passengers safely, not regale our daring exploits during the rebellion.

But still: More than a few of my passengers liked it.
Alas, I guess long gone are the days of who could deliver the coolest (not dopiest) PAX briefing; trying to make something out of a zombie scripted monolog in order to get just a bit more attention paid to it, maybe.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Soooooo to another old subject. Yesterday a United guy made his farewell address to the pax on guard. Of course as soon as the squelch clicked about 40 guys chimed in for several minutes of heckling nonsense. I was quite surprised at how fast it became anti-Delta.. Meanwhile the poor idiot over open water in his SE cessna loses an engine and can't get a word in (not really).

The tools are all the guys allowing the idiot next to them to play on the radio.. and me for laughing.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:42 AM
Looking for a laugh

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by sweetholyjesus View Post

The tools are all the guys allowing the idiot next to them to play on the radio.. and me for laughing.
Well, not much a regional FO can say or do when it's the captain engaging in <donkey>hattery.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: CRJ CA

I'd estimate that maybe 5% of pax pay attention to whatever we're blabbing from the front office.

I strongly prefer those CAs who limit their communication to a quick welcome aboard, and nothing else aside from updates on delays or other irregularities. Most pax ignore announcements, or can't understand them, or just want to be left to watch their iPad or sleep in peace.

And while we're on the topic, if you do choose to give a destination weather announcement, why in the name of all that's holy do some guys include the altimeter setting, visibility, the exact wind speed and direction, and exact altitude of the broken or overcast layer? Aside from pilots and sailors, nobody cares or knows what an altimeter setting is. Nor do they care whether it's a broken layer at 2,200 or an overcast layer at 3,500. What's next? A briefing on the NOTAMs?
Old 06-17-2016, 07:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: retired 767(dl)

Originally Posted by Turbosina View Post
I'd estimate that maybe 5% of pax pay attention to whatever we're blabbing from the front office.

I strongly prefer those CAs who limit their communication to a quick welcome aboard, and nothing else aside from updates on delays or other irregularities. Most pax ignore announcements, or can't understand them, or just want to be left to watch their iPad or sleep in peace.

And while we're on the topic, if you do choose to give a destination weather announcement, why in the name of all that's holy do some guys include the altimeter setting, visibility, the exact wind speed and direction, and exact altitude of the broken or overcast layer? Aside from pilots and sailors, nobody cares or knows what an altimeter setting is. Nor do they care whether it's a broken layer at 2,200 or an overcast layer at 3,500. What's next? A briefing on the NOTAMs?
Welll, You might have to walk to the terminal with some of these LCC's and knowing which taxiways are closed would be helpful.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by Turbosina View Post
What's next? A briefing on the NOTAMs?

I think a good, informative and complete PA should include the field NOTAMs.

Some of our passengers might be alarmed at the sudden sight of tractor cutting the grass mere feet from the wingtips after landing and non-standard signage at some destinations.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by Dolphinflyer View Post
I think a good, informative and complete PA should include the field NOTAMs.

Some of our passengers might be alarmed at the sudden sight of tractor cutting the grass mere feet from the wingtips after landing and non-standard signage at some destinations.

Why, just the other day I heard a passenger exclaim how there were 213 lights missing from obstruction towers within a 10 mile radius of the airport. Funny story!
Old 06-18-2016, 07:19 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Position: 737

The captain who pulls out his iPad to show me his new truck equipped with a vanity license plate that says "FLYBOY." Then proceeds to set the best Econ fuel thrust setting in a CRJ over the Rockies on a day when moderate to severe mountain wave is reported, then goes to sleep. Fun day of correcting negative trend vectors, max powering out of decreasing airspeed, and listening to FLYBOY sawing logs in the left seat.