Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:32 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Position: 737

I didn't find myself in any situation because I did my job and flew the plane (i.e. increased the power and speed to avoid a situation) when he became negligent in performing his duties as pilot flying.

Originally Posted by Jughead135 View Post
You've stated several times that the guy in the other seat was asleep. WHO was the pilot flying, hmmmm....?

If you think I disagreed at any point that maintaining an appropriate airspeed for prevailing conditions (mountain wave, in this case), you need to re-read my post. If you missed the fact that I was pointing out that YOU were (at least) as responsible as the captain for finding yourself in that situation, you need to re-read my post. If you think that I'm the ignoramus for pointing this out, you need to re-evaluate your critical thinking skills and take a long, hard look in the mirror.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:11 PM
Respek

Joined APC: Jul 2010

I know the place he's put in and it's a very uncomfortable one to be in. You've got guys flying with super senior Captains and they're only a couple years into 121 flying or less and it's hard for them to bring up a concern. I get it all the time and they justify their actions with their years of doing it... It's hard to be the chameleon.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014
Position: BE90 Left

Uncomfortable, maybe, but the airplane doesn't care about the seniority of the crew. If you don't bring up your concern you're passing it on for another FO to deal with.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jul 2015
Position: systems analyst

So.... You're PF, set the thrust to where it needs to be.

So.... He's asleep, set the thrust to where it needs to be.

So.... The current thrust is inadequate, set the--ah, crap, you know where this is going by now....

FLYBOY may not have been the only tool aboard that flight....
You may want to climb off that soapbox there TOTD.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: Hates Commuting

Originally Posted by Karloffstall View Post
I didn't find myself in any situation because I did my job and flew the plane (i.e. increased the power and speed to avoid a situation) when he became negligent in performing his duties as pilot flying.
Well, good--that, of course, was my point. I'm sorry if I misunderstood your original post:

Fun day of correcting negative trend vectors, max powering out of decreasing airspeed, and listening to FLYBOY sawing logs in the left seat.
I took that to mean you spent "all day" correcting those trends, etc., rather than fixing the root problem. Possible internetish-to-English translation error....
Old 06-21-2016, 05:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: Hates Commuting

Originally Posted by deadseal View Post
You may want to climb off that soapbox there TOTD.
???

Which part, specifically, do you disagree with...?

(And, before you answer, take note that the OP has already posted that he did do exactly what needed doing with the thrust....)
Old 06-21-2016, 07:28 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jul 2015
Position: systems analyst

???

Which part, specifically, do you disagree with...?

(And, before you answer, take note that the OP has already posted that he did do exactly what needed doing with the thrust....)
You called him a tool without validating how he handled it. seems pretty obvious
Old 06-22-2016, 05:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011

did you bring it up with pro standards or anyone? Or just wait and make a TOTD post about it?
Old 06-22-2016, 07:20 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by tunes View Post
did you bring it up with pro standards or anyone? Or just wait and make a TOTD post about it?
Not sure how other pro stans work, but if I'm correct about the airline in question, pro stans is only allowed to deal with personality-conflict and cockpit climate type issues. If direct operational of safety considerations are involved (they are in this case) pro stans won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

So the noob might have a choice of calling the CP, or biatching on APC...
Old 06-22-2016, 07:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Position: Here and there

Today's TOTD.

The guy walking around ATL wearing a sleeveless gray argyle sweater over his uniform with his epaulettes ever so slightly visible.

You, sir, are at the forefront of flight crew fashion.