FedEx Reference ?s

Subscribe
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions about getting a reference at Fed

1. How invloved/time consuming is it for the person doing it? I heard that the UPS rec takes over an hour to fill out. I just want to know how much trouble I might be putting someone to in order to get a reference.

2. Can a non-pilot manager or higher type at Fed do an online reference or can they only do unofficial face to face type recommendations...

Thanks for any info...
You can get any pilot to do an online rec for you, doesn't take much time as far as anyone else in the company they would have to do it informally since the online is only open to crew members
The online reference doesn't take much time at all. I have no idea how a non-pilot employee would make a recommendation and more importantly, how much weight it, if any, it would carry. If it's coming from FS himself then I wouldn't think you'd even need an interview! If it's coming from somebody in Facilities Management or International Overseas Sorting, the ACP's who look at your app package are collectively going to say "Who the he!! is this?"
The only way it's going to carry any weight will be if it is handled under the "Executive referral" category. Problem with those is that JL really doesn't like to have people shoved down his throat. Bottom line, if it's not a crew member, it really doesn't carry as much weight.
Quote: If it's coming from FS himself then I wouldn't think you'd even need an interview!
Not true, met a guy who got the nod from Fred, then promptly bombed the sim. Came back a couple years later, passed the sim & got the job.
During my first year here back in 1990, I was talking with one of the folks in flight management. We were talking about hiring and she showed me a letter from a U.S. Senator, written directly to Fred, asking if he could give his nephew a job flying at FedEx. Fred had taken that letter and forwarded it to the chief pilot, with a handwritten note asking that this guy be treated as any other candidate. I thought that was very impressive.
Thanks koz and jetjok.

I didn't know there was such a thing as "Executive referral" and I can certainly understand JL's discomfort with such.