FDX - Fly Now/Grieve Later???

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
From this 6/6/12 Positive Rate

If the issue is an assignment outside of requisite timelines, please politely raise the question with CRS. Additionally, ALPA requests that you obtain relevant data from CRS and then contact Contract Enforcement. This might arise if a pilot is assigned a Base Airport Standby. The duty period begins at showtime for the standby and the "duty period in which the pilot is not assigned a trip shall not exceed 5 hours." CBA 12.B.3.a. If a pilot is assigned a trip after the base airport standby duty period, the pilot is not required to accept the assignment. Please keep in mind that if CRS disagrees with your contention, this is a “Fly now/Grieve later” situation.

Did the Union seriously put this out?
Does it violate federal regs and put your license at risk?

Would you fly fatigued or sick?

If the answer is no and there is no time to get further help you should fly it. But document, document, document and get on it afterward.

Unless you're senior to me.
So CRS assigns a trip outside/after your Arpt Stby period, you are going to fly the trip?
I have always called CRS at the conclusion of an ASTBY period. "Howdy this is Joe Bag O' Donuts, completing my standby period, just want to make sure I'm released." Thankfully, I have never had any response other than: "Thanks for calling--nothing now."

I have, however, been notified by CRS 10 minutes prior to the end of the period that "we have a trip for you." No flight number, no tail number, no gate, no FPR, etc. Guess what--the jet wasn't ready to fly--they just wanted to keep us on the string. They strung us out for another 20 minutes hemming & hawing until we were outside our standby period. Then the awesome Captain called the Duty Officer, we were released, and we headed home.

That's my limited experience. If I were told "I know your standby is over but we want you to fly this trip," I think I would ask for a time hack. Granted, that tape recording might get lost, but it would let us both know what was being asked/directed, and when it was being done.
Quote: From this 6/6/12 Positive Rate

If the issue is an assignment outside of requisite timelines, please politely raise the question with CRS. Additionally, ALPA requests that you obtain relevant data from CRS and then contact Contract Enforcement. This might arise if a pilot is assigned a Base Airport Standby. The duty period begins at showtime for the standby and the "duty period in which the pilot is not assigned a trip shall not exceed 5 hours." CBA 12.B.3.a. If a pilot is assigned a trip after the base airport standby duty period, the pilot is not required to accept the assignment. Please keep in mind that if CRS disagrees with your contention, this is a “Fly now/Grieve later” situation.

You must have missed the last sentence of that section of the email:

"Please contact Contract Enforcement should any questions arise..."

or maybe you DID read that, but misread it to say....."Please post this directly to APC and get the 12 Angry Men's take on it, then if you still have questions, go directly to the source and contact Contract Enforcement for further clarification"
Seems to me, if it is outside your Standby period you would then have to have a minimum of 1 hour notice prior to show time for the trip. I have always called from the parking lot, but maybe I'll start waiting till the end of the 30 minute period when I'm already at home.
World Peace Now.

Just wanted to post something AFW couldnt possibly get angry about while complaining about others being angry.
Quote: World Peace Now.

Just wanted to post something AFW couldnt possibly get angry about while complaining about others being angry.
Metta World Peace? Now THAT makes me angry!!
Quote: From this 6/6/12 Positive Rate

Look at it this way: CRS tries to do something to you and you think they are wrong. You tell them to pound sand and you are not doing it.... Then after you have declined you get a call from your ACP and he explains why you were legal for the trip and why you are now in hot water because you were wrong all along. So you just hosed yourself.

That's why it's fly now grieve later. We may all think we are experts on the contract but it's not worth discipline if you are wrong.

But if you think you are right feel free to roll the bones......
I would be quite Fatigued after 5 hours of airport standby...
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to