How important is having a CFI?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
I'm getting my resume together for the upcoming hiring at the legacy airlines. Today I realized that I haven't taken any online CFI renewal in a while and realized I let my CFI lapse. How many points will I lose as far as trying to get an interview during the application process without a CFI? Currently I have 6000+TT, 1000 TPIC and 4-year degree. Should I look into getting my CFI reinstated so I can mark an extra box on an application or do they not put much weight on that anyways? Thanks in advance for the replies.
Thousands of pilots meet the basic requirements (1000+ TPIC and a 4 year degree). Once you have that, its what sets you apart that helps you out. Many things can do this. Chief pilot, check airman, safety department, instructor status at some point. Being a CFI. Having a good letter of recommendation. etc.... how many "bonus points" boxes you can check off.

It can't hurt to have and a lot of people really respect it. I think the fact that you were previously a CFI will be almost as valuable though. Its more about the ability to obtain it and the experiences you gained from it than the current possession of it.

Just look at how your resume stacks up compared to who you envision your competition to be.
Quote: Thousands of pilots meet the basic requirements (1000+ TPIC and a 4 year degree). Once you have that, its what sets you apart that helps you out. Many things can do this. Chief pilot, check airman, safety department, instructor status at some point. Being a CFI. Having a good letter of recommendation. etc.... how many "bonus points" boxes you can check off.

It can't hurt to have and a lot of people really respect it. I think the fact that you were previously a CFI will be almost as valuable though. Its more about the ability to obtain it and the experiences you gained from it than the current possession of it.

Just look at how your resume stacks up compared to who you envision your competition to be.
How do I convey that I did have my CFI certificates at one point? Most applications ask if you have a CFI certificate which currently I don't. I can't even in good conscience have it on my resume.
Quote: How do I convey that I did have my CFI certificates at one point? Most applications ask if you have a CFI certificate which currently I don't. I can't even in good conscience have it on my resume.
Did you ever actively instruct? If you were employed doing so, put that on your resume. If not, find somewhere to work it in as an aviation experience or something. In the least, you can put something along the lines of "Hours as a Flight Instructor" in your times breakdown.

If you can't figure out any way to get it onto an application, you'll just have to hope you can get an interview and bring it up there if the situation dictates.
Quote: How do I convey that I did have my CFI certificates at one point? Most applications ask if you have a CFI certificate which currently I don't. I can't even in good conscience have it on my resume.
You have one, it`s just not current. Sorta like my ATP and my check airman letter. Not politically correct, but lets face facts, the fact that you are of the female pursuasion gives you a head start.Get it renewed if possible, but don`t sweat it if you don`t.
If you list your CFI job on your employment history, that should be good enough.
You CFI doesn't need to be active, it is the history as an instructor they are looking for
Thanks for the replies.
Quote: Fixed it!
Thank you! Much better...
To be honest, if you have experience in the P135 or P121 world to build that 6000 hours worth of TT and a work history that spans a few different jobs then I doubt that listing CFI would do much good - but I've never been on an airline hiring board either - so it is just my .02 cents.

I agree with the other poster though that mentioned that you still have a CFI certificate - it is just inactive at the moment. You could list it any numbers of places on a resume and put (Inactive) next to it. Absolutely accurate information.

USMCFLYR
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to