Notices
Foreign Airlines that hire U.S. pilots

Nippon Cargo, NCA

Old 07-26-2017, 08:46 AM
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

Originally Posted by Palmtree Pilot View Post
NO, there are not even small signs. Still sending a second 400 to Atlas to do NCA flying, so less upgrades and less money for long term copilots, and the schedules just continue to SUCK and get worse. They have no orders and no plans for anything after these -8s wear out. More resignations from both seats than they can keep up with in hiring. No raises in contract signed in May. Flying 780-920 hours a year flipping back in forth between day and night and day with 24 hour layovers after 15 hour duty days with 2 pilot, 2 leg days. 10 days off a month and sometimes commuting on them.

Be more specific about what you want out of coming here and where you are coming from geographically and you may get better answers.
Hey Palmtree,

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I made the tough decision to quit last year, and I didn't want to leave. I saw a negative trend starting to pick up speed and didn't want to pass V1 while at NCA. The jury is still out if I made the right call, but from all my friends that are still there it doesn't sound like much of anything is improving. I know some of them are actively looking for alternatives. It's disappointing considering how great it could be there.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
Hey Palmtree,

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I made the tough decision to quit last year, and I didn't want to leave. I saw a negative trend starting to pick up speed and didn't want to pass V1 while at NCA. The jury is still out if I made the right call, but from all my friends that are still there it doesn't sound like much of anything is improving. I know some of them are actively looking for alternatives. It's disappointing considering how great it could be there.
Man, what a shame.

Years back, before NYK bought them out the NCA 74 contract gig was one of the best kept secrets and a highly coveted gig in that world.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: 767

For Do2g,

Someone else can fact check this but:

They fired all their expat pilots a number of years ago. The guys sued the company for breach of contract and WON. I k ow someone personally who was in the pilot group.

Nippon Yusen owns NCA. Most of their business is with surface ships. I think NCA runs at a loss but it ties into their shipping plan somehow.

Of all the people to meet at a baseball game I sat next to someone who works there just recently. They are contracting out as much of the -400 flying as they can because the jets are old and cost so much to fix because of JCAB regulations.

Was told 2 years ago that it's a 15 year upgrade.

Hope that is accurate and helpful.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:00 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Position: A330/350 CPT

I'd like to thank everyone for their answers and insights.

A broad picture of the current state of affairs is what I was looking for and I got it.
I am all too familiar with what being and expat means in this industry, PotatoChip mentioned a negative trend starting to pick up speed, which is what is happening in my current outfit as well and the reason why I am looking elsewhere.
I suppose I'll have to keep looking.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:40 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2015

How’re things at NCA now? I’m sure there’s been ups and downs
Old 07-03-2021, 03:00 PM
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

Originally Posted by tgec View Post
How’re things at NCA now? I’m sure there’s been ups and downs
Every American I’m friends with there has left except for two, both of whom have active apps out elsewhere.
The majority have left for UPS, FedEx and Kalitta. I know one went to UAL.
As fun as it is having mandatory breathalyzers before EVERY flight… it’s not what it was.