Current Republic interview

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
Quote: They are going to come out with a new definition of the ATP soon enough... Who knows what the FAA will change.
I heard GOJETs has been lobbying the FAA hard to get 'good moral character' removed!
Quote: They did, 800 or so hours and a parent with enough money to send you to riddle or another large flight college.
Probably less then that once it's all said and done.
Quote: Friends don't let friends interview here.
Lol, trust me, I've given the forewarning BUT, he's from another spot that believe it or not is actually dealing with worst than what we are dealing with now, about to hit the streets, and he needs a job. Had another buddy go through and he said only 2 out of like 10 got the job. Kinda weird as we are supposedly really short.

Quote: They're not hiring anyone that doesn't have FMS and Glass time. You'll go through the interview and even pass but it all goes upstairs to the Dir. of Ops and they review and give the ok. No glass or FMS? Prepare for the rejection letter.
Oh, Ok that would explain it, thanks. Also heard that 1500 and ATP written is mandatory for hiring due to the fact they will type you in initial fwiw.
Quote: give that a few more months, next round of regional hiring binge, and no pool = anyone with a pulse and 1500 hours will be a shoe in.
There will be a substantial number of Comair and Pinnacle pilots who easily meet the new mins. Very well may have a lot of Eagle pilots as well needing a job. A trickle from other fleabag operators looking to bail will apply if there is a big aircraft order and expansion for a new feed contract with AA. Wouldn't surprise me to see a bunch of Mesa guys looking to bail as the writing is on the wall there and making a move early vs. late, might be best.
Quote: There will be a substantial number of Comair and Pinnacle pilots who easily meet the new mins. Very well may have a lot of Eagle pilots as well needing a job. A trickle from other fleabag operators looking to bail will apply if there is a big aircraft order and expansion for a new feed contract with AA. Wouldn't surprise me to see a bunch of Mesa guys looking to bail as the writing is on the wall there and making a move early vs. late, might be best.
until places like Atlas, Spirit, Virgin, and even corporate and other 135 places start hiring again, along with some at Delta and United. Lateral moves will not be the only option for most this time next year, most will have vertical options, and people moving around will only feed into the hiring binge at the bottom, which is going to be very dry, just like the last 3 times, and this time with an ATP a hard requirement.
Quote:
Quote: give that a few more months, next round of regional hiring binge, and no pool = anyone with a pulse and 1500 hours will be a shoe in.
There will be a substantial number of Comair and Pinnacle pilots who easily meet the new mins. Very well may have a lot of Eagle pilots as well needing a job. A trickle from other fleabag operators looking to bail will apply if there is a big aircraft order and expansion for a new feed contract with AA. Wouldn't surprise me to see a bunch of Mesa guys looking to bail as the writing is on the wall there and making a move early vs. late, might be best.
Well apparently flying a Saab (9L) and a 1900 (GL) isn't good enough for them anymore. Guess I'm just going to have to shoot for unemployment till something changes.
Jesus, who cares about glass time??? The old dials were much more difficult, err required u to pay attention. FMS, please, if your younger than 40 u grew up with computers...how the hell can anyone not know/learn stuff?
Quote: until places like Atlas, Spirit, Virgin, and even corporate and other 135 places start hiring again, along with some at Delta and United. Lateral moves will not be the only option for most this time next year, most will have vertical options, and people moving around will only feed into the hiring binge at the bottom, which is going to be very dry, just like the last 3 times, and this time with an ATP a hard requirement.
That regional drought is indeed coming and it will be a hideous dustbowl, but I don't see it for another 2-3 years. AA and UAL have furloughees to work through and I don't see Delta exploding that fast. AA theoretically has no expansion plans (or planes) until 2018, unless the "plan" is a smokescreen (and very well may be). A merger with U is likely to result in overstaffing as opposed to the alternative (love to be wrong though). The good freight carriers hire at a trickle and Spirit and SWA have only modest expansion plans and a young enough seniority list that attrition vehicles like retirements are minimal.

I see more of a transition and consolidation of the regional industry that in the short-term (now out 2-3 years) will simply be a reshuffling of the deck chairs for pilots and mostly replacement, but some very modest expansion into larger RJ's. Then, if the desire is for a major push into a significant expansion of replacing domestic mainline or even just non-replacement growth, then you'll see the dustbowl take effect. Sure, a small percentage of regional pilots will make "upward moves", but comparatively few. Personally, I hope to be wrong and prefer to see the dustbowl start immeadiately. The sooner it starts, the less these management teams can ignore the fallacy of placing too much of their global networks at risk by depending on a model (RJ's) that cannot be depended upon due to lack of pilots. The sooner they acknowledge it, the easier it would be for them to adapt and correct. The options would be to pay more for RJ newhires which destroys their competitive advantage, but still wouldn't work as it wouldn't be enough for people not considering the airlines to invest time and effort into them or place the aircraft where they CAN attract pilots by offering them a long-term stable career path. The latter is the proactive path.

The quicker these idiots figure that out the better off we (and actually they) will be. The other tack is the reactive path and that's for them to go ostrich on this impending conundrum and kick the can down the road until it becomes a crisis that can't be solved short-term. Of course, that's not so bad either as to get out of that mess, who do you think they'll have no alternative to come crying to for help ?

Quote: That regional drought is indeed coming and it will be a hideous dustbowl, but I don't see it for another 2-3 years. AA and UAL have furloughees to work through and I don't see Delta exploding that fast. AA theoretically has no expansion plans (or planes) until 2018, unless the "plan" is a smokescreen (and very well may be). A merger with U is likely to result in overstaffing as opposed to the alternative (love to be wrong though). The good freight carriers hire at a trickle and Spirit and SWA have only modest expansion plans and a young enough seniority list that attrition vehicles like retirements are minimal.

I see more of a transition and consolidation of the regional industry that in the short-term (now out 2-3 years) will simply be a reshuffling of the deck chairs for pilots and mostly replacement, but some very modest expansion into larger RJ's. Then, if the desire is for a major push into a significant expansion of replacing domestic mainline or even just non-replacement growth, then you'll see the dustbowl take effect. Sure, a small percentage of regional pilots will make "upward moves", but comparatively few. Personally, I hope to be wrong and prefer to see the dustbowl start immeadiately. The sooner it starts, the less these management teams can ignore the fallacy of placing too much of their global networks at risk by depending on a model (RJ's) that cannot be depended upon due to lack of pilots. The sooner they acknowledge it, the easier it would be for them to adapt and correct. The options would be to pay more for RJ newhires which destroys their competitive advantage, but still wouldn't work as it wouldn't be enough for people not considering the airlines to invest time and effort into them or place the aircraft where they CAN attract pilots by offering them a long-term stable career path. The latter is the proactive path.

The quicker these idiots figure that out the better off we (and actually they) will be. The other tack is the reactive path and that's for them to go ostrich on this impending conundrum and kick the can down the road until it becomes a crisis that can't be solved short-term. Of course, that's not so bad either as to get out of that mess, who do you think they'll have no alternative to come crying to for help ?

The govt......they will wait till its too late, and then go oh we cant fly planes to any medium or small city anymore. There are no pilots!! Look for govt funded bridge programs, subsidies, and foreign airlines flying domestically.
Quote: Jesus, who cares about glass time??? The old dials were much more difficult, err required u to pay attention. FMS, please, if your younger than 40 u grew up with computers...how the hell can anyone not know/learn stuff?
That's what the DO's are saying is the reason CFI's are failing training is because they don't have that experience.
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to