LinkedIn worth the hassle?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Everyone always talks about the importance of networking. Is the professional networking site LinkedIn worth the hassle? I know there are other, possibly more effective ways to network, but it seems like the concept is reasonable. Just wondering what others' experience has been.

Thanks
I have one. I would say in part 121 it has little to no value in my experience.
zero value. sad but true it is as valuable to us as it a greyhound bus driver who starts profile.
It's more for people who work 9 to 5 desk jobs, in particular the high tech industry.
That is dsappointing to hear...just spent a week in seps/taps and every other sentence was you need a linked in profile...

Even is the profile itself is not useful, I could see some benefit in tracking down potential references that you might not have contact info on, which is real easy to happen when folks retire from the military and drop of the military grid.
[QUOTE=RMason;1283895]That is dsappointing to hear...just spent a week in seps/taps and every other sentence was you need a linked in profile.../QUOTE]

That's because seps/TAP isn't geared towards flying at all...
Just get facebook if you haven't. 95% of the pilots I know have a facebook account, to include many of my past examiners, and it is the easiest way to reestablish contact after a long time. No need to keep track of emails and phone numbers which change over time. Very very few pilots I know have a linkedin account, and I know that facebook is more social networking and linkedin has a professional side to it, but facebook makes it so easy as long as you keep your page clean (but the occasional eagle driver try to post something dirty now and then).

My wife made a facebook page for her small business and she has realized that her clients respond to much more information posted on facebook than on her actual website.
I have linked in and have been called a few times for contract work and once to see if I was interested in applying for a management level job (non flying)
It's a great website, just not for most pilots. It's useful for people who work in business - where building contacts is a fundamental part of their job.

Also, most airlines recruit through a rigid human resources recruitment process - the old buddy method is mostly a thing of the past.
I think it's useful. I have found numerous connections through it. It's much more of a professional social networking site. Facebook in my opinion will hurt more than help when it comes to career networking. I recently got an important pilot interview with the help of LinkedIn and my connections on there. It doesn't hurt to make a profile, you have nothing to lose.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to