Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Lav
Default Horizon Air hiring

To all interested -

Job Description

REPORTS TO

Chief Pilots Office

At this time a class date has not been assigned.

HORIZON AIR STORY

Horizon Air: behind the name are men and women with a "can-do" spirit and a passion for excellence. Launched in 1981, Horizon Air provides service to cities throughout California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Baja California Sur (Mexico), and British Columbia and Alberta (Canada). Together, Horizon Air and sister carrier Alaska Airlines serve more than 90 cities and are subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group Inc. (NYSE:ALK).

It's a heartfelt approach, as much as technological innovations and customer-pleasing onboard service, that is at the core of the "Horizon experience". This has brought us national and international recognition: Horizon Air was named "Regional Airline of the Year" by Air Transport World magazine in 2007 and was also ranked among the top 10 domestic single-class airlines by Travel+Leisure magazine readers from 2002 through 2009.

THE DIVISION

Flight Ops

POSITION INFORMATION

KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Pilot in command of an aircraft directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to the safe operation of that aircraft
- Understanding of and compliance with the FAR's at all times
- Coordinate tasks to permit flight fueling, loading, passenger handling, etc. and associated duties to convey passengers in a safe manner in accordance with company policies, and procedures, FOM, FAR's, CRF's, etc.
- Pilots are team members both in the cockpit (CRM), and with other operational departments
- Pilots are expected to present a professional image at all times, including grooming standards and demeanor, as a key representative of the company to both external customers and internal employees

QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of a two year degree from an accredited college, required
- College degree from a four year accredited university, preferred
- Must have and be able to maintain a valid passport allowing unrestricted travel to and from the U.S. required
- Valid Driver?s License, required
- Must hold current First Class FAA Medical Certificate, required
- FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate with multi-engine and instrument ratings, required
- A FCC permit, required
- 500 hours of cross country flight time, required
- 1500 hours of total flight time, required
- 100 hours of night flight time, required
- 75 hours of instrument flight time in actual or simulated instrument conditions, required
- 250 total hours of flight time as pilot in command which would include 100 hours of cross country flight time and 25 hours of night flight time all within the PIC minimums, required
- 50 hours of multi-engine flight time, required
- 100 hours of multi-engine flight time, strongly preferred
- ATP written, required
- A minimum of 60 hours flown in the last 6 months, required
- Minimum age of 23 by March 1, 2013, required
- Must be willing to accept a base assignment in Seattle, WA, Portland, OR, Spokane, WA, Boise, ID or Medford, OR base on company need, required
- Must be willing to work multiple days away from home, working a varied schedule, including weekends and holidays without restrictions, required
- Authorization to work in the U.S. required
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required

THE LOCATION

You may be assigned to any of the following bases:
Portland, OR
Seattle, WA
Boise, ID
Spokane, WA
Medford, OR

OUR CULTURE - HORIZON AIR

For eligible employees, our company offers a competitive total rewards package that includes insurance coverage (medical, dental and vision care), a 401(k) retirement savings plan, monthly and annual incentive bonus plans, time off and a generous employee travel program (with flight privileges on Alaska Airlines as well).

Key to Horizon Air's success is its distinctive culture, where partnership thrives and co-workers go out of their way to help each other. Each day, employees are guided by the shared values of Integrity, Heart, Partnership, Innovation/Initiative and Continuous Improvement. Horizon Air also fosters a diverse and inclusive culture and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

POSTING INFORMATION

Please apply on or before: Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2012

Internet Explorer 8 or above, running on Windows, is the browser that is strongly recommended to successfully submit your application. If you choose to use another browser, your application may not be considered..

A few helpful tips when applying -

~Before applying, we recommend that you clear your browsing history including your temporary internet files and disable pop-up blockers.

~Gather your paperwork, including your work history, resume etc. - before you apply to the position.

~Once in the application, be sure to use the links provided to return to the previous page if needed. The back button is not compatible with our system.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: DHC-8 SIC

Thank you, just submitted my app.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2012

Applied as well, looks like they don't have a total time option of >5000 hours? Do they not hire if you're over that? Also, is Medford the jr base?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Banned

Position: 36N15

Don't get me wrong...I love the Horizon guys. But Horizon is career suicide. 12 years to CA upgrade. Seriously, go to Great Lakes, get a quick upgrade and move on. QX will get you a career on the Q400.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Line Holder

Position: Left

I have to agree, if your a young'n and looking for "time"to advance your career QX is not the place. If i had to do it all over, especially now days, get your turbine PIC as quick as possible anywhere you can. 12 year upgrade for prop time when everyone else has turbojets will not be the Boost your career needs.

KMFR is the junior base, i hear pdx and sea are 5 plus years to hold it.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

If you want to be based in PNW go to Skywest; they should have at least three more aircraft flying for Alaska in the next few months. You will be able to hold PDX or SEA Captain there before you will hold MFR captain at QX.

If you do interview, they will tell you all sorts of fairy tales about future growth just to get you to show up to class and sign the two year training contract...
Old 12-01-2012, 07:32 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2012
Position: AS

As a 10yr FO on the 400 making 35K a year I will tell you that this QX is not the place to go for a quick upgrade....obviously. It will start to get better as guys start to abandon ship. Unfortunately it's mostly FO's leaving right now. Not drinking the company koolaide, but do believe that in a few years upgrades will start to come back down to the 4-6 year level. This place will always have the lifers that keep the upgrade time high.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by dashtrash76 View Post
As a 10yr FO on the 400 making 35K
How are you only making 35K as 10yr FO at QX? That doesn't seem possible according to the pay rates, unless you've started as a 1st year FO 5 times.

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 12-01-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Cessna 150 Left seat

Why is upgrade much longer in Horizon than other Regionals? or why are there more "lifers" in Horizon than others?

Is the pay or QOL much better in Horizon than say Skywest?

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:37 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2012
Position: AS

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
How are you only making 35K as 10yr FO at QX? That doesn't seem possible according to the pay rates, unless you've started as a 1st year FO 5 times.
Actually I make about 36K. @ 45.32/hr X 80.5hr min/bid X 10 bids(we have a 35 day bid period...weird I know)= +/- 36K/yr. I don't fly any extra as it's not really worth my time away from my family to fly a 10hr 3 day trip. I average around 15-16 days off per bid.