Search
Notices
Air Wisconsin Regional Airline

Air Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Also, if you chose to live in a base such as ORF you can join one of our work sports teams. Men's Softball, Coed Softball and soon kickball and flag football. If having fun on your days off are important to you. This group of "cowboys" in ORF are pretty cool.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: CRJ200 Right

If your planning on reloacting for this job ORF is the best choice. You'll definitely get it out of training, you'll move up the list quicker (people being awarded lines shortly after finishing training) and its the cheapest place to live out of the 4 bases. I was in the January 30th 2012 class and am on reserve in PHL. Right now I'm about halfway up the reserve list. I could hold a line in LGA and ORF. I live 25 mins from PHL so it's best for me. If you live in base like I do being on reserve is really not bad at all. In fact I'm starting to get weekends off and that's really important to me since I'm 23 and actually enjoy my social life. I'll prob just keep bidding reserve with weekends off until I could get a half descent line. Also ready reserve is the **** if you live in base. Any flying you do goes on top of your guarantee pay and you only do 2-3 overnights a month.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Is there any attrition? Or alot of the guys senior and plan to stay?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Not a lot of attrition yet. I would say that about half the captains I fly with are planning on leaving when the majors really start hiring and about half are lifers.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Word on the street is at least 40 900s coming to Air Whiskey if PNCL goes Tango Uniform
Old 12-20-2012, 06:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006

Originally Posted by JaxUAviator View Post
So I'm curious...how's the schedule at AirWis for someone who lives in base? What about for someone who commutes? What is the length of most trips (how many days)? Are there a lot of turns? How much flexibility do you have in your scheduling (i.e. how hard is it to drop trips on days you don't want to fly and pick up trips on your days off)? How long does one generally stay on reserve? How is the schedule for a typical reserve guy (again how easy or hard is it to drop/pick up reserve days)?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I'm trying to get a good feel for what the QOL is like in regards to the typical pilot's schedule.

Thanks!
If you live in base it's like a part time job. If you commute, the commute itself is like a part time job. Do yourself a favor and live in base.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011

Originally Posted by Trip7 View Post
Word on the street is at least 40 900s coming to Air Whiskey if PNCL goes Tango Uniform
Riiight. Listen, go to AWAC if you are ok with things there going tits up in 2015. Otherwise, look for a regional that will be around longer term. AWAC has had the writing on the wall for a while, not due to the pilots but the private ownership that has not done anything to grow the airline by a single frame, save 471, since 2003. I don't work there, but I did... things might have changed, but I doubt it. Just word to the wise, every airline is trying to rid itself of 50 seat feed, awac only has 50 seat feed. US airways has publically stated it wants out of the 50 seat buisness... awac only flys for US airways. The only hope I see for them is if they can arrange something with the new AMR/LCC to fly larger aircraft in exchange with dumping 50s, but even that might be a long shot.

As for Delta, they look for cost more then anything. Since AWAC already has high cost, and would have to put together a 90 seat part inventory etc, their costs will not likely be low.

Nothing against the pilots of AWAC, great great people with few exceptions and I still have a lot of friends there, but there needs to be a little bit of reality thrown in this thread.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by chucknorris View Post
Riiight. Listen, go to AWAC if you are ok with things there going tits up in 2015. Otherwise, look for a regional that will be around longer term. AWAC has had the writing on the wall for a while, not due to the pilots but the private ownership that has not done anything to grow the airline by a single frame, save 471, since 2003. I don't work there, but I did... things might have changed, but I doubt it. Just word to the wise, every airline is trying to rid itself of 50 seat feed, awac only has 50 seat feed. US airways has publically stated it wants out of the 50 seat buisness... awac only flys for US airways. The only hope I see for them is if they can arrange something with the new AMR/LCC to fly larger aircraft in exchange with dumping 50s, but even that might be a long shot.

As for Delta, they look for cost more then anything. Since AWAC already has high cost, and would have to put together a 90 seat part inventory etc, their costs will not likely be low.

Nothing against the pilots of AWAC, great great people with few exceptions and I still have a lot of friends there, but there needs to be a little bit of reality thrown in this thread.
Just relaying info. Gentleman from Mesaba on another thread stated that their union leaders have told them if they turn down their TA Air Wisconsin will win the RFP for 40 900s.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Just relaying info. Gentleman from Mesaba on another thread stated that their union leaders have told them if they turn down their TA Air Wisconsin will win the RFP for 40 900s.
Dude what he's saying is don't base your decision on where to work on what "trip7" said about 40 new a/c on a message board. It's a rumor. A far fetched one at that. AWAC was also supposed to get United flying (went to ASA and then next wave to Expressjet), supposed to get Midwest flying (Skywest), had a real short term deal with AirTran--didn't work out. Several possible reasons.

AWAC doesn't win flying. They buy it. If Delta is strapped for cash due to their new Virgin joint venture and AWAC can toss them some money and come up with favorable terms... Then sure there might be some planes at Air Wisconsin.

Problem is, Awac signs some pretty ridiculous iron clad contracts with these airlines. I don't see Delta allowing the owners of AWAC to have the kind of control/operation that they have with USAirways. Hope I'm wrong, but Delta likes to shuffle planes around with DCI carriers, they like to whipsaw pilot groups against each other, and that will not fly in a contract with the current owners of AWAC. These owners want stability and steady income.

If they did something like this with Delta, they'd probably turn around and sell the company to Skywest and retire rich. Anyways I wouldn't base a decision on where I work on a rumor. Go to a place that will be around a while, that offers you a good QOL, and that provides you and your family good benefits. If that place is AWAC then by all means pull the trigger. Just do your due diligence.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by smackahoCEO:1315670
Dude what he's saying is don't base your decision on where to work on what "trip7" said about 40 new a/c on a message board. It's a rumor. A far fetched one at that. AWAC was also supposed to get United flying (went to ASA and then next wave to Expressjet), supposed to get Midwest flying (Skywest), had a real short term deal with AirTran--didn't work out. Several possible reasons.

AWAC doesn't win flying. They buy it. If Delta is strapped for cash due to their new Virgin joint venture and AWAC can toss them some money and come up with favorable terms... Then sure there might be some planes at Air Wisconsin.

Problem is, Awac signs some pretty ridiculous iron clad contracts with these airlines. I don't see Delta allowing the owners of AWAC to have the kind of control/operation that they have with USAirways. Hope I'm wrong, but Delta likes to shuffle planes around with DCI carriers, they like to whipsaw pilot groups against each other, and that will not fly in a contract with the current owners of AWAC. These owners want stability and steady income.

If they did something like this with Delta, they'd probably turn around and sell the company to Skywest and retire rich. Anyways I wouldn't base a decision on where I work on a rumor. Go to a place that will be around a while, that offers you a good QOL, and that provides you and your family good benefits. If that place is AWAC then by all means pull the trigger. Just do your due diligence.
I completely agree with you and chuckNorris. I know it's just a rumor but was just trying to get some discussion going to see how strong of a rumor it is as only a couple Pinnacle/Mesaba folks have mentioned it.