Old Logbook and Starting Training

Subscribe
I recently got out of the military and am going to begin an aviation degree program using my GI Bill this fall. I started flight training when I was younger but due to too many obligations and a lack of funds never finished it. I have all the materials and logbook that I used when I took the lessons and ground school. I know I will need to get all new books for ground school, FAR/AIM, and all of that. My question is should I re-use my old logbook or is it better to just start fresh? I have 10 hours in it, but that was in 2000.
Keep the hours from you old logbook. You will pretty much be starting from scratch from a skills point of view. The hours from your old logbook may not help you in the long run but they are still flights you made. If nothing there has to be some memories attached to them. If you still have your E6B and plotter those are still useable, depending on the plane you are going to fly the POH you might of had could still be useable as well. As for all the other literature you have most of it will be outdated from a regulatory standpoint but how you fly the plane hasn't changed. I stopped flying in 2000 after completing my PPL and started flying again in 2007 working on my IR. There were quite a bit of changes that happened in that seven gap. Now just about every plane you rent has a GPS.
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same about the hours. Even if they are old, they're hours and could help getting to the magical 1500.
The time from your previous training will also count towards the minimum experience requirements for various certificates (PVT, COMM, ATP). That might save you a bit of money over the long run (proficiency being the deciding factor once you meet the minimums for a checkride). I'd use the same logbook.

Before you replace all of your books and supplies, I'd chat with your instructor and see what might still be applicable.
Thanks. I don't plan on getting rid of them just yet; I've held on to them for 13 years now, what's another 6 months?
I agree, talk to your instructor, but I'd keep using it. When you go for interviews you need to bring your logbooks with you to prove your flight time. That 10 hours in valuable when you need 1500 for an airline job now. If its falling apart you can bring it someplace to get rebound, perhaps a local library can help.
Continue with the old logbook. Just start from a new page with the current date. Flight time is flight time, no matter how long ago it was.