Budget Woes ... BOHICA

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 7
Go to
Quote: This won't be popular, but I really think its time to revamp the retirement system. If I were king I'd announce that starting in two years anyone joining the military will not get a defined benefit retirement (pension) but rather will contribute to a 401k and the government will match up to a percentage. At the same time I'd raise the base pay slightly to compensate.

It's a bit antiquated to use a pension system now. A kid can join the AF at age 18, retire at age 38 and be paid a retirement for the next 50 to 60 years!

Another option is (again grandfather in those currently serving) no retirement until you turn 60, like in the reserves.

Still another option is early retirements at a reduced rate.

I'd like to see the same thing for all government employees (ie teachers).
All OK by me, just don't forget to include FBI agents, TSA personnel, and any and every other federal employee.
Quote: You are absolutely correct except it isn't the "lavish" personnel spending that is the problem. There are hundreds of problems with government/DOD spending. Unfortunately, the Pentagon and Congress will not cut the stuff that should be cut. Instead, they'll cut personnel, pay, and benefits which means our fighting force will once again take it in the shorts.
Right, because the cash cow for MIL Industrial complex is protected....

Quote:
I'll also add, anyone who has a military job where they are actively engaging the enemy and being shot at has more than earned their "lavish" compensation ... and then some.
No argument there, except that they were in combat to justify the cash cow for the MIC....

This isn't new... in fact it is as old as empire.....
Quote: All OK by me, just don't forget to include FBI agents, TSA personnel, and any and every other federal employee.
Absolutely, I just used teachers, since some tend to forget that they are government employees, with unions that count on the tax payers to bail out their underfunded pensions.
Quote: Absolutely, I just used teachers, since some tend to forget that they are government employees, with unions that count on the tax payers to bail out their underfunded pensions.
You are worried about teachers when Wall St and the MIC steal the US Treasury..... hilarious.
Quote: Right, because the cash cow for MIL Industrial complex is protected....

No argument there, except that they were in combat to justify the cash cow for the MIC....

This isn't new... in fact it is as old as empire.....
War is the last thing most military members want because they know the tragic toll it takes. So they're not fighting for the MIC.

However, if you were speaking on behalf of the government trying to justify the MIC, I would agree there is some truth there. However, if it were 100% true, you'd have problems getting the troops to fight in unjustified wars.

Many people think the world sings songs and holds hands. It doesn't. There will always be war. Nobody wants it, but it is a necessary evil.

Our biggest problem on the horizon is China. We owe them a lot of money, they're going to want it back, and they keep hacking our corporations and government. They've been aggressively building up their military and have the largest active military. At some point hostilities will ensue.
Quote: All OK by me, just don't forget to include FBI agents, TSA personnel, and any and every other federal employee.
Federal employees don't get the 20-year pension like the military. We (I'm an ART) get FERS, which is different because we have to pay into it. Many ARTs will leave a Federal technician job if they have the chance to get to 20 on an AGR tour.
Quote: You are worried about teachers when Wall St and the MIC steal the US Treasury..... hilarious.
Well, glad I could entertain you. Teachers, no I'm not worried about teachers but I am worried about unfunded liabilities like teacher retirements in most states. I know you don't worry about such things since you are blessed with economic ignorance.

It's nice for you to sit back and hurl liberal bromides like "MIC", "hyper consumerism", "militarism" etc, etc. We get it, you don't like us. Why then do you bother frequenting the mil forum? I mean really? What do you get out of this? You're basically trying to bait us into a political flame war on a site that forbids political discussion. Did a military pilot bang your wife or something? Why don't you stick to moveon.org or the daily kos?

Go ahead, throw your snarky comments my way
Quote: Federal employees don't get the 20-year pension like the military. We (I'm an ART) get FERS, which is different because we have to pay into it. Many ARTs will leave a Federal technician job if they have the chance to get to 20 on an AGR tour.
I could be wrong, but I think Federal Law Enforcement Officers, Firefighters, ATC Controllers, and Congressional staffers get 1.7% per year of high 3 for the first 20 years and 1% per year after that.
I doubt any of those agencies offer pensions, my 3-letter one sure doesn't. Those went away quite a while ago. It's standard 401K fare, etc...
Military costs
If it costs so much to pay for a large active duty force......Maybe it's time to reduce the number of active duty personnel and increase the Reserve/Guard components. We all know where the experience is and the Reserve component costs significantly less to employ.

Wondering when the Air Force will cut Tuition Assistance? I can't believe it has continued this far. I haven't met a single person who thought they got a worthwhile masters degree. "Fill the box" for promotion.....now we are seeing the position that has put us in.....nice job leadership.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 7
Go to