VA benefits - learning to fly

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Please forgive me if I have missed the answer to my question, but I have searched the threads and haven't found any new and relevant info for my question below..

Has flight training benefits been expanded to include sport and private pilot training? I understand that there was much talk about it in the past but I can't find any recent updates. Thanks.
Short answer is no. However, TA can/could be used for private at an Air Force aero club on base.
Thanks zondaracer
If the training is associated with an institution of higher learning, the answer may be yes. I'm trying to get a solid answer to this and other Chap 33 questions.
Quote: If the training is associated with an institution of higher learning, the answer may be yes. I'm trying to get a solid answer to this and other Chap 33 questions.
If you find the answer, please post or send me a message. Thanks
How about type ratings? Can the 9/11 GI Bill be used for type ratings?
Quote: How about type ratings? Can the 9/11 GI Bill be used for type ratings?
Yes! I used some of mine for a B737 Type. $10K is the limit. The B737NG is $10K and a B737 Classic is about $7K.
Yes, used post 9/11 for 737 type + ATP check. Not the most cost effective use of the post 9/11. Went through Higher Power, they are very good at pushing the paper work for you. However, the tuition was between 7-8k, and the VA charged me between 10-11 months of benefits.
You can get private paid for w/GI Bill if it's part of a degree program (e.g. Associate's Degree, etc...) at an institution of higher learning.
Quote: Yes, used post 9/11 for 737 type + ATP check. Not the most cost effective use of the post 9/11. Went through Higher Power, they are very good at pushing the paper work for you. However, the tuition was between 7-8k, and the VA charged me between 10-11 months of benefits.
Thank you so much for this info. While I know that I can used the Post 9/11 GI Bill for the type rating I was not sure how it would affect my remaining months of benefits. A big thing I like about the Post 9/11 GI Bill is that I can let my kids use it. Right now I can give each of them 12 months. So if I got a type rating on with the GI Bill, that will take that number down to 8 or 9 months for each kid.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to