Planning on applying for ANG pilot slots

Subscribe
Hello, all. I've decided that I want to join the ANG as a pilot, but am not sure how exactly I should go about it aside from just speaking with a recruiter. I'm 26 years old, have a B.S. in professional aviation and I'm a commercial pilot of 500 hours total time. I also like to volunteer, and have a decent record of helping out. For starters, I know that I have to take the AFOQT and TBAS.

I understand that there is a heck of a lot of competition for these slots and I'm not sure whether I'll stand a chance of even being competitive (although I'm still going to send out as many apps as I can).

So, I'm wondering what is the best way of maximizing my chances for being considered. Do ANG units look at candidates from other states? Should I just send my apps to any number of ANG units and just hope to be called for an interview? I'm quite confused frankly.
Apokleros -

Please use the search function for researching this question on APC.
It is one of the most highly talked about topics in the Military forum at least.
Also - AirWarriors.com will have every question asked and answered a hundred times over for your reading pleasure.
READ before asking though over there. I hear that forum isn't very tolerant!