GI Bill for Type Rating

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 2 of 5
Go to
Quote: I recently contacted Higer Power about a 737NG type and they quoted me at almost $13K. Where are these $7-8K figures coming from?
I haven't priced them out recently, but that was the going rate a few years ago. What does the 13K include? Is that just the type or is it a full ATP syllabus?
Maybe the cart driving the horse, now that they accept GI Bill, it may be the going rate...
That was just the type. The original quote was $15k but she knocked it down to $13k. That didn't include hotel stay.
Quote: That was just the type. The original quote was $15k but she knocked it down to $13k. That didn't include hotel stay.
Holy geez. It has gotten pricey. Any reason why the 737? SWA isn't planning on hiring for a while and they were the only ones requiring it.
Quote: Holy geez. It has gotten pricey. Any reason why the 737? SWA isn't planning on hiring for a while and they were the only ones requiring it.
I went in expecting it to be in the $7-8k range. I figured it would be nice to have, plus the fact that I'm already used to the NG cockpit would make it a relatively easy course.
I did it in the 737-200 sim. Some in the 300.

Are those not an option anymore? On the back of my ATP, it simply says 737

If they lost those sims, that could explain the price increase.
Higher Power
I just got my ATP/737 type from Higher Power tonight (yeah, it's amazing I can type while drinking!). If you ask for the 737NG course, they'll give you the pricing for the NG course. If you want to do it with the GI Bill paying everything, do the 737 Classic course. A 737 type is a 737 type. They are transitioning their 737-200 course to the -300 as the -200 sim has gone away. I suspect that the NG course may become their "primary" course sometime in the future and I suspect the price may change to reflect that, but no promises...

Higher Power was a class act. It does take 10 months from your entitlement, but if you're a moron like me who never got around to transferring the benefits to your family and are not willing to sign a 4 year ADSC to do it now, well, why not use it.

Just my $0.02 worth,

Droopy
Great advice, droopy. If you don't mind me asking, what location did you do it and how long did it take? Also, did they want payment direct from you or did they work with VA? I already have my atp taken care of, but I also didn't transfer my benefits, am not going to sign on for another 4 years, and have benefits that are going to go back to the taxpayers if I don't use them. I might as well use it for something that is going to help me.
I wish I had known that before. Thanks Droopy.
E6BPilot,

I took the course at the Dallas location. 1 week of ground school, orals that weekend, a week of simulators, and the checkride the 2nd weekend. Their payment policy seems to vary as the VA gets behind further. Currently they want a $1500 downpayment, then they direct bill the VA and reimburse the $1500 when they get paid. I have no idea how long that will take.

The instruction was first class. They are a great bunch of people doing what they love. It shows...

Droopy
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 2 of 5
Go to