GI Bill for Type Rating

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 3 of 5
Go to
GI Bill for Type Rating
BAH for the 9/11 pays around $1500 a month. Pay for the type yourself. Then, go down to the community college and sign up for a couple of classes a quarter. Do that for 10 months. Pay yourself back the $8k and put $7k in your checking account. Don't let them take 10 months of your benefits for $8k of training.
I did the 737NG type last summer at HPA. Price then was $10,800 (sticker was $16,000 I think). Class was awesome, great product at HPA. NG course is a little longer as it is 80hrs of ground school (10 days), but there is no official pre-study and test on day 1 like the 200/300 course. I did the NG in case I want to go overseas, and I am a HUD cripple...
I did it now, as I am on AD, and didn't want to wait to get the BAH etc.
They wanted full payment, then I got it paid back about 5 months later after the VA paid HPA.
The full 10k took 12months of benefits, so I now have 24 left... Enough to get the masters.
Quote: BAH for the 9/11 pays around $1500 a month. Pay for the type yourself. Then, go down to the community college and sign up for a couple of classes a quarter. Do that for 10 months. Pay yourself back the $8k and put $7k in your checking account. Don't let them take 10 months of your benefits for $8k of training.
I'm pretty sure you have to be enrolled full time to get paid like that.
Does anyone know how much Higher Power was/is charging for their other types, besides the 737 NG? I'm looking in to using the Post 9/11 for it too... great thread!
Does anyone have any recommendations on places that are wise to the VA process and you've had a good experience with!?
Quote: I just got my ATP/737 type from Higher Power tonight (yeah, it's amazing I can type while drinking!). If you ask for the 737NG course, they'll give you the pricing for the NG course. If you want to do it with the GI Bill paying everything, do the 737 Classic course. A 737 type is a 737 type. They are transitioning their 737-200 course to the -300 as the -200 sim has gone away. I suspect that the NG course may become their "primary" course sometime in the future and I suspect the price may change to reflect that, but no promises...

Higher Power was a class act. It does take 10 months from your entitlement, but if you're a moron like me who never got around to transferring the benefits to your family and are not willing to sign a 4 year ADSC to do it now, well, why not use it.

Just my $0.02 worth,

Droopy
Is it a full type with no restrictions/limitations?
Quote: I did the 737NG type last summer at HPA. Price then was $10,800 (sticker was $16,000 I think). Class was awesome, great product at HPA. NG course is a little longer as it is 80hrs of ground school (10 days), but there is no official pre-study and test on day 1 like the 200/300 course. I did the NG in case I want to go overseas, and I am a HUD cripple...
I did it now, as I am on AD, and didn't want to wait to get the BAH etc.
They wanted full payment, then I got it paid back about 5 months later after the VA paid HPA.
The full 10k took 12months of benefits, so I now have 24 left... Enough to get the masters.
Quote: E6BPilot,

I took the course at the Dallas location. 1 week of ground school, orals that weekend, a week of simulators, and the checkride the 2nd weekend. Their payment policy seems to vary as the VA gets behind further. Currently they want a $1500 downpayment, then they direct bill the VA and reimburse the $1500 when they get paid. I have no idea how long that will take.

The instruction was first class. They are a great bunch of people doing what they love. It shows...

Droopy
Why did Droopy only front $1500 and E6B pilot fronted all of the course payment?
Couple of answers.

1. Yes, it is the full, unrestricted type. You do have to meet some basic qualifications for this. We had a Korean guy in our class with a brand new commercial that was getting a restricted SIC type.

2. Depending on how much the VA is jacking Higher Power around with reimbursements affects what their policy is on payment. When the Post-911 GI Bill first allowed flight training, HP wanted $1,500 down. When the reimbursement time grew to years (I exaggerate, but not by much), they wanted everything up front and then reimbursed it when they got paid. When I went through in April, they were back to $1,500. You'll have to talk to them to find out what they are curently offering. I highly recommend talking to them. They're friendly folks who want your business...

Also, just noticed E6B did the NG course. I did the Classic. Same type rating regardless, just steam vs glass...

Droopy
Wasn't me...maybe you mean Jollygreen? We do both fly the E-6B.
Sounds like $1,500 was the going rate that you have to front on the type rating in the 200/300 sims. I think it is much more for the NG type rating, although it will read the exact same on your license.
Ayup, meant Dingo155... Read, then type, then drink... :-)
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 3 of 5
Go to