GI Bill for Type Rating

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 5 of 5
Go to
Quote: Welcome to the GI Bill® Web Site ...
All of that being said, and I know this is a little OT - but does the GI Bill pay tuition and flight fees for a 141 school up front or must I pay that out of pocket and then get reimbursed. I see that it says on that excerpt that for a rating you must pay first but it's unclear whether the same is true for a person just starting out in 141. Anyone know? Thanks
Quote: All of that being said, and I know this is a little OT - but does the GI Bill pay tuition and flight fees for a 141 school up front or must I pay that out of pocket and then get reimbursed. I see that it says on that excerpt that for a rating you must pay first but it's unclear whether the same is true for a person just starting out in 141. Anyone know? Thanks
This depends on the school you are/will be attending. The time for the VA to process and pay tuition is not quick. Many of the schools do not want to wait for the payment and require the student to pay the tuition on time, then get reimbursed from the VA. On the VA education benefits website lists approved schools. If your school is on there, it lists the person who is working the VA benefits for the school. He/she will know and can give you accurate information specific for the school. Good luck.
Quote: This depends on the school you are/will be attending. The time for the VA to process and pay tuition is not quick. Many of the schools do not want to wait for the payment and require the student to pay the tuition on time, then get reimbursed from the VA. On the VA education benefits website lists approved schools. If your school is on there, it lists the person who is working the VA benefits for the school. He/she will know and can give you accurate information specific for the school. Good luck.
That's great information that I haven't thought of. Thanks a lot!
Not to change the subject or get into an argument but it bears mentioning that I know a few guys w/737 type and 0 hours who got asked that question a lot by interviewers. Is a 737 type with no hours worth anything? Maybe...it would help in the sim portion of an interview. I had never set foot in a 737 cockpit and thought the UAL sim portion was easy.

A good personal friend ( a guy also on APC forums) talked with a lady on the hiring board at DAL and she said that 737 type tells her one thing: SWA is their first choice. I got my type for 1/3 the cost in a Seminole over 2 days. A lot easier and cheaper.

My 2 cents. Personally I decided not to spend the extra $$ on something I didn't think I needed.

Cheers.
Quote: Not to change the subject or get into an argument but it bears mentioning that I know a few guys w/737 type and 0 hours who got asked that question a lot by interviewers. Is a 737 type with no hours worth anything? Maybe...it would help in the sim portion of an interview. I had never set foot in a 737 cockpit and thought the UAL sim portion was easy.

A good personal friend ( a guy also on APC forums) talked with a lady on the hiring board at DAL and she said that 737 type tells her one thing: SWA is their first choice. I got my type for 1/3 the cost in a Seminole over 2 days. A lot easier and cheaper.

My 2 cents. Personally I decided not to spend the extra $$ on something I didn't think I needed.

Cheers.
Or it just opens up more possibilities. It shows a potential employer that you can pass an airline style training process.
Any airline that would would view something that makes you more competitive in this industry as a BAD thing doesn't deserve my service.
Quote: Or it just opens up more possibilities. It shows a potential employer that you can pass an airline style training process.
Any airline that would would view something that makes you more competitive in this industry as a BAD thing doesn't deserve my service.
Perhaps. How does it make you more competitive? Not flaming just curious. I would argue that there are a lot more things on an airline app that make you competitive than a Higher Power 737 type.

Just know that it's not required.
Quote: Perhaps. How does it make you more competitive? Not flaming just curious. I would argue that there are a lot more things on an airline app that make you competitive than a Higher Power 737 type.

Just know that it's not required.
It opens up SWA as a possibility whereas if you do not have it - your chances are essentially NIL - therefore improving your chances of getting that airline job you are hoping for in the end. I also gave other examples in my previous post.

If you have the type you can apply and have a chance to be hired at UniCal, Delta, AA, or SWA.
If you do not - you can apply and have a chance to be hired at UniCal, Delta, AA.
A reduction in chances of a job by 25%.
Quote: It opens up SWA as a possibility whereas if you do not have it - your chances are essentially NIL - therefore improving your chances of getting that airline job you are hoping for in the end. I also gave other examples in my previous post.

If you have the type you can apply and have a chance to be hired at UniCal, Delta, AA, or SWA.
If you do not - you can apply and have a chance to be hired at UniCal, Delta, AA.
A reduction in chances of a job by 25%.
Fair enough.
Quote: Not to change the subject or get into an argument but it bears mentioning that I know a few guys w/737 type and 0 hours who got asked that question a lot by interviewers. Is a 737 type with no hours worth anything? Maybe...it would help in the sim portion of an interview. I had never set foot in a 737 cockpit and thought the UAL sim portion was easy.

Cheers.
I did the B737NG Type/ATP at Higher Power in prep for my transition from being a PFE to the right seat on the B747-400. I thought it was well worth it! gave me some good glass/FMS training and did not cost me a dime!
Quote: It shows a potential employer that you can pass an airline style training process.
Agree. Training courses in the military are a lot longer. I've seen mil (and of course non mil) guys struggle just because the training is different. It also gives you the confidence of knowing you can ace the course. I also don't need the educational benefits, but adding a few free type ratings is appealing.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 5 of 5
Go to