FDX-Inbound Jumpseat Sleep Room

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
With all of the commotion surrounding the excess bid, did anyone notice in the project updates from JB that the new sleep rooms will only be available for inbound jumpseaters "if there is extra room"? Sounds like slim odds.

The priority for sleep rooms should be for hub turning crews and airport standbys, and I know the fact that commuting is all on me, but the majority of FDX pilots commute. It would be great to grab two hours of sleep not interrupted by the sixty seventh showing of Top Gun at 95 db in a broken recliner in the TV room between a commute and an outbound hub flight.

I was told specifically by several management people that the new sleep rooms would be available for jumpseaters who are operating out.

As there are no recliners other than the ones that spawn dreams of slow dancing with Kelly McGillis and splashing MiGs, what is the plan for inbound jumpseaters?
Quote:
With all of the commotion surrounding the excess bid, did anyone notice in the project updates from JB that the new sleep rooms will only be available for inbound jumpseaters "if there is extra room"? Sounds like slim odds. ... I was told specifically by several management people that the new sleep rooms would be available for jumpseaters who are operating out.
Can you please explain the circumstances where a sleep room should be given to a jumpseat/operate crewmember in preference to an operate/operate hubturning crew member? "If there is extra room" seems to me to be the appropriate standard.

Quote:
As there are no recliners other than the ones that spawn dreams of slow dancing with Kelly McGillis and splashing MiGs, what is the plan for inbound jumpseaters?
There ARE recliners available for inbound jumpseaters without the nauseating distraction of Tom, Kelly, and Val. But they're secretly reserved (TOP SECRET, even) - for only those crewmembers astute enough to read FCIF ADM/GEN 13-0036, which is sneakily hidden in plain sight on the P.F.C website. I've gone there numerous times during AM and PM hub turns, and NEVER found them more than 1/3 occupied. Oh, and nothing keeps you from dreaming of Kelly and splashing MiGs, you just don't get a TV to help you.
What is rest for?
Timeoff, I caught that as well. Unsat IMHO. Rest at the hub is simply to be better rested for the outbound. That fact is admitted in the update and backed by science according to the update. How you arrive at the counter for the outboud should not be relevant. Kind of like a "jumpseat cut out."
Quote: Timeoff, I caught that as well. Unsat IMHO. Rest at the hub is simply to be better rested for the outbound. That fact is admitted in the update and backed by science according to the update. How you arrive at the counter for the outboud should not be relevant. Kind of like a "jumpseat cut out."
Jumpseaters will get sleep rooms - as long as they are jumping in for an AM out and back. Makes perfect sense. Crews that live in base get sleep rooms and j/s don't
There should be plenty of rooms for anyone who wants one. Not everyone wants a sleep room -- there are guys/gals who are diggin' the zombie act, watching a movie, catching up with friends, surfing, etc... I caught the reference too but there should be no problem.
Quote: Timeoff, I caught that as well. Unsat IMHO. Rest at the hub is simply to be better rested for the outbound. That fact is admitted in the update and backed by science according to the update...
Don't let Science get in the way of good optimizer usage!

Failure to harness current technology and a tendency to totally ignore any scientific or pilot feedback will make for a great PBS introduction. I can't wait.
I could give a $£%# about sleep on my third night of hub turning I am already a zombie and excited about Dakota Roast and watching Red Eye on Fox... Maybe even the sixty eighth showing of Top Gun too.

It is the first night that is the most painful.

The "science" that says the fifth night of hub turning is the worst for SA is BS. I feel great on night five relative to night one.
The sleep rooms on a normal night usually fill around midnight. I think with the added rooms, on a normal night, anyone who wants (needs) one will have access to a room, regardless of what they did coming in or will do going out. Whether the policy changes or not, well the CP seems to allude to as much when more rooms are available. Maybe some kind of STBY system could be instituted that will protect operating hub turners and still allow in bound JSer to use a room before an out bound duty. It certainly makes sense.
The non normal op days; ice storms, hub meltdowns, TRW events, they will truly test the worth of all these additional rooms as crews that normally would not use a room seek one out.
I see the real down stream issue with so many rooms is the small group that are too cheap to either have a crash pad or don't want to pay for a hotel when operating out on the long flights and also don't want to buy a room when coming in for training. This bunch will be trying to "live" in the Hotel Memphis, at first keeping a low profile but in time making it obvious they are living in the AOC.
Best method would have been to place a bunch of "submarine racks" in the locker room, keep one side for the guys and one side for the gals ............. instead of wasting all this money and time on refurbing the AOC ............. When you are tired and need a place to get horizontal, you don't care as long as it is available ............... I slept in a sub rack on the boat, two abreast and three high ............. works like a charm, we had 170 others in the same berthing area
Quote: Best method would have been to place a bunch of "submarine racks" in the locker room, keep one side for the guys and one side for the gals ............. instead of wasting all this money and time on refurbing the AOC ............. When you are tired and need a place to get horizontal, you don't care as long as it is available ............... I slept in a sub rack on the boat, two abreast and three high ............. works like a charm, we had 170 others in the same berthing area
We need a no-snoring section. I could sleep underneath the 3 wire on cruise, but can't sleep in a room w some dude gagging himself snoring.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to