Any Coast Guard guys around?

Subscribe
Hey Everybody,

I am a Senior in High School, and I eventually want to become a Pro. pilot(duh). I am seriously considering the Coast Guard because I love the bases and all the different jobs they offer. I am hoping to eventually get a pilot slot, but I am not locked on it, so it doesnt matter if I dont.

But I am curious, how does one get a pilot slot in the Coast Guard? I have heard you have to have a few tours at sea . That isnt a problem, the sea runs in my blood.

Thanks for any input.
http://www.gocoastguard.com/faq.html

Quote:
What about promotions to officer rank within the Coast Guard?
Finally, you may also enlist in the Coast Guard for four years, obtain the rank of E-5 or above, and have a minimum of 30 college credits. You can then apply for the same OCS class as civilians with college degrees are applying. In addition, a Coast Guard enlisted person may also work up through the ranks to Chief Warrant Officer, and may then attend OCS or apply for the Coast Guard's Warrant-to-Lieutenant program.
Quote:
How do I become a Coast Guard pilot?
To become a Coast Guard pilot, you must first become a Coast Guard Officer or be a graduate of another armed service's flight school and have served on active duty as a military pilot. Prior military pilots may apply for Direct Commission Aviator positions that become available semi annually. Please contact your nearest recruiter to find out when the next opening will be announced. Commissioned officers in the Coast Guard apply for Flight School and are put on a waiting list for the next available class convening once they have been determined qualified for Flight School.

Qualifications for Coast Guard pilots:
A qualification for Flight School includes passing a Class 1 Flight Physical. Two big issues aside from being in good physical health are dental and vision requirements. The dental exam will check for cavities and other problems with teeth and gums that may be affected by changes in air pressure while engaged in flight. Basically you will be required to have no dental problems and no cavities. Vision requirements are also very stringent. Eyesight should be 20/20 if not, it must be correctable to 20/20, no exceptions. Uncorrected visual acuity must be better than 20/50 in either eye. There are other limitations imposed based on the type and strength of the lens prescription. In addition, normal color perception, depth perception and field of vision are also required
I have a few Coastie connections and would be glad to help out with input.