ALPA Disability: Are you paying for Nothing?

Subscribe
Any Regional Pilots that have a contractual disability plan, should look closely at the contractual offsets for that plan.

Many pilots are paying good money for ALPA disability insurance that will only serve to be offset from the company plan netting no additional income.

Take the time to look at offsets, and disabilty qualifications to see if you are truly getting any bang for your buck, or just throwing your money away.
Quote: Any Regional Pilots that have a contractual disability plan, should look closely at the contractual offsets for that plan.

Many pilots are paying good money for ALPA disability insurance that will only serve to be offset from the company plan netting no additional income.

Take the time to look at offsets, and disabilty qualifications to see if you are truly getting any bang for your buck, or just throwing your money away.
The concept is called subrogation. These types of policies are intended to make one "whole", not realize a windfall from being on long term disability. But that is good advice, people should closely examine the provisions of their policies before laying out money for coverage.
I did the math when I flew at an ALPA carrier, and it worked out to being on disability six months out of every two years to break even. Those payments stopped after 6 months, IIRC, so the decision was easy.
ALPA Disability: Are you paying for Nothing?
I'm out on Short Term Disability and I'm glad I chose to have ALPA supplemental insurance.
Quote: The concept is called subrogation. These types of policies are intended to make one "whole", not realize a windfall from being on long term disability. But that is good advice, people should closely examine the provisions of their policies before laying out money for coverage.
+1 for this. What do you expect, to be paid more while out on disability than while working? That's not the point of the insurance at all, and I know many a pilot at Comair that I worked with that thanked their lucky stars for ALPA disability insurance making them whole and allowing them to keep their houses after having a illness strike.

Probably about the only good thing ALPA offers, but that's a whole different topic