Notices
Corporate Corporate operators

Type Rating Required

Old 06-07-2013, 05:17 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2013
Default Type Rating Required

Virtually every corporate aircraft job posting right now lists "Type Rating Required" for the aircraft they are hiring. Is it possible that there is enough turnover in the industry that flight departments are not paying for any initial type ratings for new hires? This is incredibly frustrating as that I am at a operation with only one type. How do you move up in the industry when everyone is playing musical chairs? Someone throw me a bone here with a good, I sponsored the applicant type rating story...
Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: Airplane

All about who you know in corporate not what is on your license or in your logbook.

Type rating required means they aren't hiring outsiders, just keeping mgmt happy.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Part Time

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Chief Pilot PC-12NG

I was is your same shoes, but I was a guy looking from the outside trying to get my foot in the door. I was applying to all of those jobs that thousands of other pilots were applying to. As mentioned, get to know people.

I met an individual by accident at a hangar one day when I was there talking to someone else. I stayed in touch with the individual that I met throughout the course of a year. Eventually, that contact offered me a part time contract gig on a Falcon 2000.

Even though I busted my butt, I still consider myself extremely fortunate and lucky.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by Axfriend View Post
Virtually every corporate aircraft job posting right now lists "Type Rating Required" for the aircraft they are hiring. Is it possible that there is enough turnover in the industry that flight departments are not paying for any initial type ratings for new hires? This is incredibly frustrating as that I am at a operation with only one type. How do you move up in the industry when everyone is playing musical chairs? Someone throw me a bone here with a good, I sponsored the applicant type rating story...
All the job descriptions say that.....just apply and keep networking (in person, not on the Internet) Yes, decent jobs will certainly pay for initials. It's pretty much a given in most department budgets.

Don't worry about collecting type ratings, target jobs that will be a good fit for you and the rest will just happen.

Good luck!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: DAL 737 FO

I was in the right place at the right time and went from a Captain at a regional airline to a great corporate job with no corporate type ratings. Within 1 year of hire I had 2 new corporate type ratings. It does happen, you just have to have a good hard working attitude and be ready to step in and shine when the opportunity presents itself.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:09 PM
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

I was hired with no time in type and sent to school.

When we hired again 6 months later, that newhire had no time in type and was sent to school.

IMO, a good flight department will hire the right person, not the right type rating.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Cessna 150

Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
I was hired with no time in type and sent to school.

When we hired again 6 months later, that newhire had no time in type and was sent to school.

IMO, a good flight department will hire the right person, not the right type rating.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 06-09-2013, 02:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: F/O- G-V/550

Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
Agree

My argument is that flight departments, management companies, etc " require" type ratings as way of discouraging thousands of unqualified people from applying and slowing things down

A company looking for one pilot, typically interviews 5 or 6.... They don't want go through 2000 resumes to dig up 6.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:52 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2013

Thanks for the great replies. I understand networking is probably the number one step for advancement in this segment of the industry. I am a little curious as to the state of the industry. Insurance requirements and laid off pilots have changed the landscape considerably since I was hired, and typed, at my current position 5 years ago.
Anyone have a favorite networking venue they want to share? I attend NBAA and try to do contract work when possible. What else are people doing?
Old 06-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Networking is all local. If there are airports near you that have significant number of bizjets, you need to get known--visits, info from line techs, former colleagues that might be at one of the local operators. Networking is NOT handing out business cards at NBAA. You need to have a reputation as reliable, having something to offer, done valuable work for someone. I got my job by staying touch with someone I helped in the Reserves. Minor, on my part, but my contact thought it valuable to him, remembered it and was a great help when I knocked on the door. That said, you have to come to the interview with quality flying time and the right resume.

There is nothing wrong with knocking on doors or calling a chief pilot just to introduce yourself and get known.

GF