AV-8B type looking for future advice

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to
On the TW-4 side of things, you would get the most hours in VT-31 (T-44s) or VT-35 (TC-12s), 1200-1500 in three years wouldn't be that hard. That being said, I spent 10 of my last 12 years at TW-4 and I never saw (remember?) seeing a Marine jet dude there. You have all types at CNATRA and TW-4, but I would say getting into a squadron would be tough. The MATSGs have tight control on where people go. If you go to CNATRA/TW-4, you should expect less hours.

I recommend going to VT-21/22. The hours should be plentiful and the clown jet time is well respected on a resume (over T-6 time). While you are there, network with every SELRES you can and strongly consider transitioning over to a USN SELRES slot when you get out. There is a smart way to do it but you don't need to tackle that until after you get there.
All good advice...given me plenty to think about. Thanks guys.
Quote:
I'm originally from CA and I have thought about making Fresno my first stop since they have a Viper unit out there. But like I said, at this point, I'm just trying to figure out who to talk to.

Par
Last I heard the Fresno unit was converting from Vipers to F15s. If you are going after a particular airframe/mission, I figure that may matter to you.

Regardless of unit/location, I highly recommend calling them and visiting as much as possible, preferably on drill weekends to maximize your time meeting everyone. Give them a call and ask for the drill weekend calendar and plan your trips off that. You can find contact info on the aviation jobs link on base ops dot net or just call the ops number inside the IFR supp. good luck.
Quote: All good advice...given me plenty to think about. Thanks guys.
PAR,

Have you thought about the MCRIP program or even the OSA program in 4th MAW?
Quote: PAR,

They should let some of us old hatters come back off of retirement to teach them young whippersnappers
Quote: PAR,

I have not, mostly because you are first one to ever mention it. At this point I don't know anything about these acronyms but I'll see what info google can provide. Do you have any personal experience with these programs? I'm all ears if you do.

Update: Google didn't come up with anything.
Quote: Last I heard the Fresno unit was converting from Vipers to F15s. If you are going after a particular airframe/mission, I figure that may matter to you.

Regardless of unit/location, I highly recommend calling them and visiting as much as possible, preferably on drill weekends to maximize your time meeting everyone. Give them a call and ask for the drill weekend calendar and plan your trips off that. You can find contact info on the aviation jobs link on base ops dot net or just call the ops number inside the IFR supp. good luck.
That's even more awesome then. I care more about location than airframe and I would never turn down the F-15. Thanks for the info.
Quote: I have not, mostly because you are first one to ever mention it. At this point I don't know anything about these acronyms but I'll see what info google can provide. Do you have any personal experience with these programs? I'm all ears if you do.

Just sent you a PM if you want to discuss.
Quote: I have not, mostly because you are first one to ever mention it. At this point I don't know anything about these acronyms but I'll see what info google can provide. Do you have any personal experience with these programs? I'm all ears if you do.

Your Google-Fu skills are weak young Jedi

Try Googling USMC MCRIP and USMC OSA.
You'll come up with MARADMINS to explain the program.
Quote: That's even more awesome then. I care more about location than airframe and I would never turn down the F-15. Thanks for the info.
I'm not saying impossible, but that might be a tough nut to crack. A "normal" Eagle guard unit is usually hiring IPs or very experienced multi-tour drivers off active duty. They bring their inexperience into the unit in the form of new hires off the street to send to UPT. My unit did hire two former Navy Hornet drivers in the 12 years I was there.

A converting unit like Fresno is probably going to be even more exclusive. Since most of the incumbent pilots are converting too, any new additions are probably going to be previous F-15 pilots in an attempt to increase the squadron's corporate Eagle knowledge.

It certainly can't hurt to try. With the AD Eagles down to a few squadrons, they may be expanding their search and/or you may just be the guy they want.
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to