AV-8B type looking for future advice

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
I am new to this forum and have not posted anything here thus far. So, for a little history on myself, I am currently on AD about to start my B-Billet that will have nothing to do with me being at the controls of an aircraft. As the title states, I am a Harrier pilot with about 800Hrs total time up to this point in my career. My next PCS could very well be my last as my obligation will be up by 2017. I am trying to figure out what would be best for me at this point and I would like some advice from those of you who have gone before me.

My primary goal is to get back into the cockpit after this next non-flying tour. I'm hoping to get back into the fleet but there is no way to predict what direction that is headed in. I should have a pretty good shot at getting back to the training command though and I will absolutely request that. However, in the event that does not work out, I would like to continue flying one way or another.

So, my first question for you all is about the prospect of flying for the ANG. Being a Harrier guy, A/A is not exactly my specialty. If I were to apply for a fighter unit, what effect will this lack of A/A quals/experience have on my acceptance? At this point, the ANG is my primary choice for post active duty flying.

Also, should the ANG not work out for some reason, what civilian ratings should be working on prior to my active duty time coming to an end so I can line myself up with the best way possible? I am currently holding a fixed wing commercial instrument. I suppose time will tell how the airlines will pan out over the next few years so there is no point in guessing about who will hire and who will not. So, these are just the few basic questions that I have. If you guys have anything additional to add, I'm all ears. Thanks.
Start networking on the Guard side now.

If you want to fly civilian, maybe get a CFI and teach at a local FBO to build some more hours during you down time. If possible, consider trying to get a tour in a C12 or 35. That would get the multi time, but you might have an ADSO for the training.

Get on APTAP. It started as an Army helo site, but don't let that stop you. the members are great folks representing all the services. The amount of experience on that site is amazing.

Good luck!
Par18,

We recently hired a Harrier guy and put him throught the Viper TX and he did just fine. A-A is a new game but he's done a great job of picking it up and I'm sure you would as well.

He was a local guy who wanted to come home and be a part-time flyer and is a great dude as well. Probably the two most important reasons why he was hired. The A-A issue probably wasn't a factor, plus we tend to drop more bombs than we shoot missiles so you can figure that in too.

Sledy
Quote: So, my first question for you all is about the prospect of flying for the ANG. Being a Harrier guy, A/A is not exactly my specialty. If I were to apply for a fighter unit, what effect will this lack of A/A quals/experience have on my acceptance? At this point, the ANG is my primary choice for post active duty flying.

Also, should the ANG not work out for some reason, what civilian ratings should be working on prior to my active duty time coming to an end so I can line myself up with the best way possible? I am currently holding a fixed wing commercial instrument. I suppose time will tell how the airlines will pan out over the next few years so there is no point in guessing about who will hire and who will not. So, these are just the few basic questions that I have. If you guys have anything additional to add, I'm all ears. Thanks.
If you're set on getting off AD when you can in 2017, a Guard/Reserve job is a must. Honestly, with your total time and only 4 years left, I think it would be very difficult to get to a point where you're competitive for an airline job(w/ a major airline) by the time you get out. You're going to need 1500 hours just to be able to get an ATP (airline transport pilot's license).

The good thing is that you have some time. Start networking and get a G/R job lined up before your ADSC is up and be ready to step off AD with no break in service. Hopefully you can get a full time AGR or technician position so there will be healthcare and a steady paycheck. If you have no interest in the airlines at that point, then you're set. You've got a full time job and if it's AGR, you can take it to 20 years and retire as if you stayed on AD.

If at some point, you choose to go to the airlines after joining the G/R, transitioning to a part time position is easy. In addition, you will have stayed current and accumulated more hours which will make you more marketable. You squadron is likely to have representatives from many of the airlines you want to get hired by which will help with recommendations, interview gouge and firsthand knowledge of what you're getting into.

If you can't line up a full time slot, a part time one can work almost as well. Depending on the unit, manning, mission and deployments, it's possible to get close to a full time paycheck even as a part timer. There may be temporary full time order available (30 days here, 30 days there - especially as the fiscal year draws to an end). You can probably do that for a year or two while you work on getting hired at a airline or wait out a full time spot opening (hopefully) in the squadron.

Bottom line: The Guard/Reserve is an invaluable tool to help you transition from AD and still allow you to serve. In your case, I would even say don't leave AD without it. Good luck.
If you want to go with the airlines when you get out it would be a smart move to go to the traning command for your final flying tour to get more than enough hours TT for the airlines and the 1500 ATP requirement (assuming that the request for the 750 hrs military time is not passed).
Going to the the RAG or a C-12/35 assignment might be risky. Lots of hours one month and few the next. If the training command is what it use to be (Bunk or FlyBoyd could chime in here), then you would have no problem making the totals.
Thanks for the replies guys. I have every intention of getting to the training command after this non-flying gig to build up the hours required as a backup. I'll be glad to fly T-45's or T-6's so I'm sure I can get there one way or another. I believe that any training command IP's are also able to snag a CFI ticket by taking some sort of written test just as I did with my commercial/inst post winging. However, if I do go the training command route, I will absolutely be leaving the Marine Corps when it ends. From there, the Guard will be my first choice.

As far as the airlines go, I'm not too crazy about the idea of taking a pay cut at that point in my life so I'll have to see what the situation is like. I just want to make sure I have as many options available to me as possible. Also, is there some sort of military to civilian hours conversion formula or is my 800hrs simply viewed as 800hrs?

Sledy,

That is good to hear. I might have some hope after all. Please check your inbox when you have the chance.

USMCFLYR,

You are absolutely correct about the risk associated with flight time when it comes to the fleet. I don't have the quals needed to get to the RAG so that is not even an option. The C-12/35 gig seems to be a total hookup job and unless you have some seniority and know the right people, it probably won't happen. These are all the reasons why i'm leaning heavily towards the training command. I have no doubt that I will be at 1500+ hours by the end of that. I also plan on flying on my own just for fun over the next 3 years so i'm sure I'll build up at least a few hundred hours and pick up some more tickets.

My next question for you guys has to do with the actual application process for the Gaurd. Even if I choose to begin that process right now, who should I contact? Is there an LNO at each unit who can entertain my questions? I'm originally from CA and I have thought about making Fresno my first stop since they have a Viper unit out there. But like I said, at this point, I'm just trying to figure out who to talk to. Once again, thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to learning all about the process.

Par
Quote: Par18,

We recently hired a Harrier guy and put him throught the Viper TX and he did just fine. A-A is a new game but he's done a great job of picking it up and I'm sure you would as well.

He was a local guy who wanted to come home and be a part-time flyer and is a great dude as well. Probably the two most important reasons why he was hired. The A-A issue probably wasn't a factor, plus we tend to drop more bombs than we shoot missiles so you can figure that in too.

Sledy
Well, I can't seem to figure out how to send you a private message so I'll just ask here. Can you tell me what quals your Harrier guy had? Also, what is his call sign? If he is a Yuma guy, I might know him.

As far as dropping bombs go, I don't know how much this will help me but I'm also a Forward Air Controller and as you know, CAS is the Harrier community's bread and butter. My next job will be to train FAC's at EWTGLANT so I won't be completely away from TACAIR...except this time I'll just be watching others drop bombs.

Also, how does the RAG work for ex-TACAIR types that end up joining TACAIR guard units? Is the syllabus shortened in some way? Well, I have plenty more questions for you but this should suffice for now. Let me know. Thanks.
Quote: Well, I can't seem to figure out how to send you a private message so I'll just ask here. Can you tell me what quals your Harrier guy had? Also, what is his call sign? If he is a Yuma guy, I might know him.

As far as dropping bombs go, I don't know how much this will help me but I'm also a Forward Air Controller and as you know, CAS is the Harrier community's bread and butter. My next job will be to train FAC's at EWTGLANT so I won't be completely away from TACAIR...except this time I'll just be watching others drop bombs.

Also, how does the RAG work for ex-TACAIR types that end up joining TACAIR guard units? Is the syllabus shortened in some way? Well, I have plenty more questions for you but this should suffice for now. Let me know. Thanks.

You need to make a few more posts to enable PM, when you do, send me one, I'm not gonna put his name out there. I can answer the rest for you later too if someone doesn't before I can.

Cheers

Sledy
Going to a training slot is good for the hours. Would you be able go to a T-44 unit? I'm just thinking about the ME turbine time. Serious question for others, wouldn't he have a hard time getting a non-RJ like a pilot who has 1000 TPIC in a Caravan and little/no multi time?
I know plenty of harrier guys with T-45 and T-6 time get hired at all the majors.
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to