Is it time to leave mil and go airlines?

Subscribe
2  3  4  5  6 
Page 6 of 6
Go to
I made the jump, decided to retire right after the 20 year mark, rather than face the 179 day non flying gig, OR the 365 non flying gig. It's a tough decision, but remember you've got a retirement check behind you, that's key!

I can't stress networking enough. Nearly everyone that applies at an airline is current and qualified, with enough hours and training to be hired. So what sets you apart from all the other guys out there with their applications already in? You gotta network, go to job fairs, look up old buddies online, LinkedIn, Facebook.

If you don't have your ATP yet, my recommendation is call up Higher Power and use your GI Bill (if available) to get the ATP/737 type rating. Learning the way of civilian training will help when you get hired. Don't worry about the supposed bias against guys with no time 737 types, it's explained by using your GI Bill to get an ATP. It didn't stop me, and was just an easily answerable question during my interviews.

Get some interview prep! I can't stress that enough! ECC is who I used, best money I spent in search of a job.

Get your ducks in a row if you plan on relocating after you retire. I didn't, now my wife is prepping the house to sell while I'm down in training.

You've got two huge advantages that a lot of guys don't and that's your retirement benefits and the leadership/training you've earned and worked hard to get in the military. Airlines covet those. Also, don't worry about the low hours, don't get discouraged about that. There's no real way you're going to compete with the civilian guys in the number of flight hours. 3000 hours is average for a military guy, and that's who you'll be racked and stacked against at most airlines, other military applicants. Things that will lift you above the other military guys are leadership positions (DO, ADO, Chief of something), Instructor/Evaluator and any schools you can list (AIS, Safety school, etc).

As far as logbook, I took my original green folder to my interviews. Every airline I interviewed at had no problem with it, and knew exactly where to look in my ARMS folder. Don't make a copy of it, no one wants to look at a copy. Eventually, you'll want to transfer those hours to a logbook, I used LogBook Ten, but there's others out there.

It's an exciting time, I know how you feel, but its also a little intimidating. Let the younger guys in the military have their chance at leadership, you've served your country, time to pass the mantle on.

Good luck!
Quote: It's funny, I can't remember the names of some of the guys in my UPT class, but I can still spout off the Tweet spin recovery mantra without skipping a beat.
I think your priorities are in order.

One of my favorite Tweet quotes is from Col. Rasimus - Thud driver in Vietnam and 37 IP. He equated flying the tweet to masturbating. It felt pretty good while doing it, but were quite embarrassed when finished.
Quote: ...while I'm down in training.
I must have missed it, did you get a job?? Congrats!! Who?? Great now I feel alone out here....adrift....
Quote: I must have missed it, did you get a job?? Congrats!! Who?? Great now I feel alone out here....adrift....
Haha! Against every instinct they probably had, Spirit decided to take a chance on me. And, I don't think I could be happier.

Disclaimer: I could be happier... I could have a Porsche GT3 parked in the driveway of my new house, a new house with a pool in the backyard for my Jack Russell Terrier to paddle around in.
Quote: I am in a similar situation and am making the jump. You have two huge things going for you: You are current and you have a retirement to cushion the first year.

Lots of good advice above about getting yourself ready. I would follow it and have a backup plan (I have some other non-flying irons in the fire in case it doesn't work out for whatever reason).
Don't let the bitter "there is no pilot shortage, no off the street hiring, have to wait for the flow throughs" crowd jade your decision. I know a dude who went on terminal two weeks ago and got hired by United the same week. He had minimal networking, no interview prep (he said he regretted that one), and less hours than you. Not saying that it is going to be wide open, but if you put some effort into it, there are jobs out there.
TY for the reply. I have one friend who was recently hired by United, but he is Mr. Network and a former Thunderbird. Obvious choice to be selected in the 1st round of hiring so I really couldn't use him as an example. I've "heard" about quite a few people NOT hired by United -- none I knew 1st hand but just friends of friends type thing you hear around the bar.

As for prep, I just started on my ATP with Sheppard and plan to use an interview service.

Quote: I made the jump, decided to retire right after the 20 year mark, rather than face the 179 day non flying gig, OR the 365 non flying gig. It's a tough decision, but remember you've got a retirement check behind you, that's key!

I can't stress networking enough. Nearly everyone that applies at an airline is current and qualified, with enough hours and training to be hired. So what sets you apart from all the other guys out there with their applications already in? You gotta network, go to job fairs, look up old buddies online, LinkedIn, Facebook.

If you don't have your ATP yet, my recommendation is call up Higher Power and use your GI Bill (if available) to get the ATP/737 type rating. Learning the way of civilian training will help when you get hired. Don't worry about the supposed bias against guys with no time 737 types, it's explained by using your GI Bill to get an ATP. It didn't stop me, and was just an easily answerable question during my interviews.

Get some interview prep! I can't stress that enough! ECC is who I used, best money I spent in search of a job.

Get your ducks in a row if you plan on relocating after you retire. I didn't, now my wife is prepping the house to sell while I'm down in training.

You've got two huge advantages that a lot of guys don't and that's your retirement benefits and the leadership/training you've earned and worked hard to get in the military. Airlines covet those. Also, don't worry about the low hours, don't get discouraged about that. There's no real way you're going to compete with the civilian guys in the number of flight hours. 3000 hours is average for a military guy, and that's who you'll be racked and stacked against at most airlines, other military applicants. Things that will lift you above the other military guys are leadership positions (DO, ADO, Chief of something), Instructor/Evaluator and any schools you can list (AIS, Safety school, etc).

As far as logbook, I took my original green folder to my interviews. Every airline I interviewed at had no problem with it, and knew exactly where to look in my ARMS folder. Don't make a copy of it, no one wants to look at a copy. Eventually, you'll want to transfer those hours to a logbook, I used LogBook Ten, but there's others out there.

It's an exciting time, I know how you feel, but its also a little intimidating. Let the younger guys in the military have their chance at leadership, you've served your country, time to pass the mantle on.

Good luck!
How much is a 737 type rating supposed to help at airlines that aren't SW? I've been mulling this move for years and have carefully kept a few SW guys in mind for the day I finally get out. Only the game changed and SW probably won't be hiring during the window where I'll be looking for a job (and even if they were, my best friend @ SW told me to expect 19 years in the right seat if they were to start hiring). Bummer since I've got a few friends there and I like their domiciles, but "good" that I thought I could save a few grand and not bother with the type rating before my interview . Are you saying the 737 type rating would be helpful with other airlines or would it be a large waste of money?

In regard to flight records, I know I could just ask at the OSS but are you allowed to check those out for interviews before you retire? I've never had a need to do anything other than my annual reviews and PCS with them.
United's sim check is in an EFIS 737, so if you have been flying nothing but trainers or pointy noses then maybe the lower cost non NG type is a good idea if United is on your list of companies you want to work for in the industry. You can also do a 1 hour sim prep ride in that type of sim much cheaper. One of the big differences between the military and a job hunt is there are no written rules just guidance from each specific company, rumors on the Internet, and what you feel best preps you for getting the job you want. IMHO, you want to do all you can do ahead of time rather than find yourself asking how long until you can interview again.
The 737 isn't going to help you get a job, but it does help with a couple of things. It helps acclimate you to a civilian training process, believe me, it's different than military training. You'll adjust, but I'm glad I had a little civilian training before I started my training at my airline. It gives you a "recency of training", which to some airlines, US Airways specifically, shows you have a recent training course under you. Finally, it gives something to round out your résumé with.

When I went to do my ATP, my local education office told me that the GI Bill wouldn't cover just the ATP (btw, you're doing the right thing getting the written out fm the way with Sheppard Air), so I did the type and was fully reimbursed, minus hotel costs. Later, I found out they were wrong, but I was still glad I did the 737 type.

You should be able to check your flight records out from OSS, I was able to when I went to an interview at Eagle. They just asked me to return them when I was finished. After my fini flight (which was my final out date, which was the date of my retirement ceremony, which was the day before my effective retirement date, lol), they signed the folder over to me, I took that along with my Form 8s, and went off to my JetBlue interview. I didn't do a thing to my green folder, other than audit it when I transferred it to LogTen Pro. I never found errors before, but I found a whole bunch of 781s during copilot school that weren't in my records. It was only dual received, but gave me a little bump.
People love to talk bad about the Tweet, but...all in all...best flying I ever did. Did UPT in it, then was in the last wave of IP's that got to fly the thing, and all-in-all, helluva trainer. Hands down, no question, better than the Sixer as a trainer. Of course, on a hot day in Del Rio or Columbus, I'd much rather toss on the ol' harness rather than the parachute on the 3rd flight in a trip-turn, and then have some cool air circulating rather than just an open canopy, but....here's a quick story.

Flew into Eglin on a CT XC one weekend for a junket trip. Me and the other IP (long, long story on that, and history), went there for a retirement of a Chief. Landed at Eglin, and started to taxi in. Passed a 2006 tail F-22 guy who was on the taxi out. He gave us the "Hang loose" sign, we returned it, and we kept on plugging down the taxiway. Next intersection, we passed an '85 tail F-15C, and the pilot there gave us the "macho man bicep flex". We passed it back, and moved on. Last intersection before the TA ramp, we passed a QF-4, where the guy gave us a thumbs up, and we passed it back, and realized we were rollin' in a '59 model Tweet. Oldest POS on the ramp, but...I'd bet each of those pilots in those sweet rides would still love to hop in for a quick 1 point 2.

Fastest G onset rate in the inventory, and somehow it was still stable enough to fly in instruments. And yeah, yeah, bellyache about the instruments, the deal was, they sucked, but they WORKED. And if you were proficient in them, trust me, I can still do a Fix-to-fix like nobody's business...

As far as the REAL purpose of this thread goes: Everyone here is testifying...they're speaking the truth. Follow your dreams, and if that's not about flying in the military, get the hell out, and go get paid. Only, realize it's not all rainbows and skittles. I got out, and spent some time getting my feet under me (I was not prepared). Did the Higher Power deal, and that was good training, but...keep in mind, it's not military training. You pay them, so they'll get you through it.

Ended up finally getting a job through networking at a "Large airframe charter service". Spent some time going through training for the 757/767, and all was good. Did my checkrides, and went out and flew it for a nice IOE trip. Had a blast, and it was great! I was ready to go out and kill dinosaurs all over the world. Only, I got furloughed.

And, since then, I've been in a sort of limbo. You already did this before, and now it's back to the start...waiting to hear about jobs you've applied for, and waiting to hear back from the company you're furloughed from, and in the meantime, you only get calls from companies you applied for but are a big step backwards in your progression. And you have to deal with timing: Sure, you can take the job flying a regional where they REALLY want you, but they want a training bond for a year or 6 months, while you're waiting to get called back to fly something big and interesting. What if you do get called back? It's always a gamble.

And, just to ignite the fires of the old farts out there....The Tweet Boldface died before the Tweet did! I was a procedure at the end, and not a BF. "Idle-Neutral-Aft-Spinning (left)-Needle (left)-rudder, full opposite direction of the spin and hold-punch the CI, recover from the dive".

And yeah, I know you all think that's lame, but it's less lame than not knowing what your stud is doing up front on the his/her dollar ride! You can see a lot, but there's a few dozen switch positions or settings that I'd have sold every Sixer on the lot for to get back into a Tweet!

And, once more, back to the subject for one last thought. I know it's a roller coaster, and you might see that, you might not. Do what people suggest...make contacts, scrub the resume good, and if you don't have something like Log Ten, then use the ARMS printout. Interview prep is up to you. If you're die-hard for a major, it's a cost you should probably shell out. If not, it's a cost you should probably shell out. Pick a good one though. And good luck out there. And by happenstance, if you get hired, remember all the good advice I just gave you, and then look me up and give me a recommendation! HAHA!
4 green, no red, no amber, line-on-line... It's amazing how those things stay with you.
2  3  4  5  6 
Page 6 of 6
Go to