Debt Approaches 17 Trillion

Subscribe
3  9  10  11  12  13 
Page 13 of 13
Go to
Re: Debt Approaches 17 Trillion
Quote:
The United States debt ceiling or debt limit is a legislative restriction on the amount of national debt that can be issued by the Treasury. Since expenditures are authorized by separate legislation [the budget], the debt ceiling does not actually restrict deficits. In effect, it can only restrain the Treasury from paying for expenditures that have already been incurred...

A 2011 Government Accountability Office study found "the debt limit does not control or limit the ability of the federal government to run deficits or incur obligations. Rather, it is a limit on the ability to pay obligations already incurred."
United States debt ceiling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I accept your apology.

Quote: United States debt ceiling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I accept your apology.

I apologize, you are not merely ignorant, you are more ignorant than we first imagined or could imagine.

http://www.etfguide.com/commentary/1095/Bond-Losses-at-Federal-Reserve-Top-$192-Billion/
And, as your captioned Wiki post stated, the obligations are "already incurred" by Congress, thus making them a political decision which may or may not be honored by that very same Congress thru an increase in the debt ceiling. No increase, no expenditures--they stop upon reaching the ceiling. Again, look up the SCOTUS decisions on whether an individual has any property rights to government payments, other than bond holders.

This is how the SSA terms the argument,

“There has been a temptation throughout the program’s history for some people to suppose that their FICA payroll taxes entitle them to a benefit in a legal, contractual sense.”

GF
Quote: United States debt ceiling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I accept your apology.

And I accept the fact that you have the maturity level of a third grader who thinks he is "cool" in front of his friends.
3  9  10  11  12  13 
Page 13 of 13
Go to