Alaska Airlines To Install Split Scimitars

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
From KING5:

A new performance-enhancing winglet will help Boeing Next Generation 737s fly more efficiently, Alaska Airlines announced Tuesday.
Seattle-based Aviation Partners Boeing is designing the "Split Scimitar Winglet," which reportedly will reduce fuel consumption by 58,000 gallons a year per aircraft and cut carbon dioxide emissions by 57,000 tons annually.
"Reducing fuel consumption has been a top priority at Alaska Airlines for years," said Mark Eliasen, Alaska Airlines' vice president of finance and treasurer. "Thanks to the hard work and dedication of our employees, we've cut our carbon emissions by 30 percent per passenger mile since 2004. Investing in split winglets will further reduce our fuel use and continue our efforts to be the industry leader in environmental stewardship."
Winglets are designed to save fuel by reducing drag, allowing the aircraft to fly at cruising speed while using less engine power. Alaska Airlines plans to install the first split winglet by early next year, and have it installed on all 111 aircraft in its 737 fleet by 2017. The cost of the winglets is expected to be recouped by saved fuel expenses in about two years.
Although Alaska is expected to save $20 million with the split winglet, the airline made no comment on how it would impact flying costs for passengers.

Alaska Airlines equipping 737 fleet with new winglet | KING5.com Seattle
I saw a BBJ at NBAA last week with them installed; look like curb finders from 1959. Have to wonder about crosswind landings.

GF
Ok but now pax will ask me even more winglet questions.
There is talk of adding them to the Q's as we'll.
Looks like an MD11 winglet.
All the better to slice and dice Eagles in Southeast with...
Nah, Q400 props will do that and turn the dropped salmon into sushi.

Obscure AK story there

GF
Quote: I saw a BBJ at NBAA last week with them installed; look like curb finders from 1959. Have to wonder about crosswind landings.

GF

That, and they're going to have to put little roller blade wheels on them, just so the SW guys can taxi around a corner!
Quote: That, and they're going to have to put little roller blade wheels on them, just so the SW guys can taxi around a corner!
like a B52!

think about it, SWA guys will be able to go faster!
If swa does it, I'm sure they will be sharpened to slice and dice more kittens on the ramp.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to