Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major
Bottom of SWA or bottom of new American? >

Bottom of SWA or bottom of new American?

Search
Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Bottom of SWA or bottom of new American?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:45 AM
La Familia Delta

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: B-717 FO / C-17 AC

Originally Posted by John Carr View Post
I would agree with all that. But the more and more time I spend in a SW JS, they seem to be flying less legs than they traditionally did. And a DAL friend of mine showed me his domestic 757 rotation. 14 legs in 4 days, longest overnight is 13 hours. Not ALL the time, but good grief.

When I'm 60, do I wanna do that? Heeeeeeeeeck no. But at 60, I'm not sure I wanna be doing back side of the clock European 3 days either. OR 3.5-4 day orient trips. I KNOW, they pay well and give time off. But where I commuted from, there's A LOT of very senior/silverbacks that do that. They're in their mid to late 50's, they look like death warmed over commuting home with them.
All good points. If swa has good 1-2 leg options that's fantastic. It definitely comes down to the type of flying that suits the individual. I like that if you don't like a particular fleet at a major, or if you grow tired of it, or whatever other reasons, you can bid something else.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2012

I'd be interested in hearing from a SWA guy on how their relative seniority affects trip quality. Do senior guys get day turns worth 8 hours? Are junior guys resigned to 10 leg 3-day trips? Are they all 3 day trips, or a mix of 1, 2, 3, 4 days?

At AA at least, the senior-most nb domestic trips are typically day turns worth 7 to 8 hours, with those going West (like DFW-SEA) being preferred to DFW-LGA. We have guys that have been on the MD-80 for 20 years and do nothing but the same sequence, forever and ever. They know every frequency between DFW and SEA! There's a lot to be said for comfortable routine.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Wicked Artsy, Moderately Fartsy

Originally Posted by strikeagledrivr View Post
You wise old airline guys dust off your crystal ball.....for us military folks new to the 121 airline gig what's your advice....

I'll give you a current perspective from someone who is one step ahead of you leaving the military for the first time:

Location, Location, Location.

You don't want to move around any more, you don't want to fly to get to work and you don't want to share beds and rooms anymore than you already had to in the military. You see the pay scales are always shifting and there are always unions and carriers either on the rise or in decline...no one carrier is going to be perfectly protected. I've noticed that morale and perspective changes based on seniority and life experiences so there isn't one company where everybody is happy or free of rotten employees.

Your junior line number will mean last choice of vacations and last choice of flying lines (and even reserve lines) so why further constrict your lack of choices by losing time with commuting and sitting reserve outside your house? One of the more notable differences I've become aware of is after you run your last checklist, you are done. No office visits, no hanging out, no nagging list of requirements or videos to watch. Your time begins as soon as you are done at the aircraft...why give any of that time up? There are projections and estimates of when people can move domiciles or upgrade but why gamble? You also want your next interview to be your last one. Set your work up in a location that meets all of your other life goals and remember:

the people who survive this industry when it constricts are the people at the top...you don't get to the top without time served.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Seat 0B

Career longevity and where will you be happiest?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: C47 PIC/747-400 SIC

i have flown 3 airplanes i wouldn't mind spending a decade or so on,the DC3,the 727,and the 747,but back to the original post, its all apples and oranges,get the offer first, you really could not go to far wrong with either,or.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Working weekends

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Left Seat

The best gig going seems to be wide body AA FO who can promote to captain but elects to stay FO.

If this was 1995, I would say SWA (due to upgrade times), but it is 2013, and from merely an upgrade time standpoint/build seniority quick standpoint, I would say AA, in 2013
Old 11-17-2013, 03:23 PM
La Familia Delta

Position: B-717 FO / C-17 AC

Originally Posted by satpak77 View Post
The best gig going seems to be wide body AA FO who can promote to captain but elects to stay FO.

If this was 1995, I would say SWA (due to upgrade times), but it is 2013, and from merely an upgrade time standpoint/build seniority quick standpoint, I would say AA, in 2013
+1..............
Old 11-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005

I would say AA, but only from a seniority moving standpoint due to hiring and retirements. Get the 10yr upgrade out of your mind as that is extremely optimistic. The qol will get better quicker.
Then just feed through the rest of the posts, but remember that those are just our opinions. You know what they say about those.
GL.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

Originally Posted by gooddeal View Post
I'll give you a current perspective from someone who is one step ahead of you leaving the military for the first time:

You don't want to move around any more, you don't want to fly to get to work and you don't want to share beds and rooms anymore than you already had to in the military. You see the pay scales are always shifting and there are always unions and carriers either on the rise or in decline...no one carrier is going to be perfectly protected. I've noticed that morale and perspective changes based on seniority and life experiences so there isn't one company where everybody is happy or free of rotten employees.

Your junior line number will mean last choice of vacations and last choice of flying lines (and even reserve lines) so why further constrict your lack of choices by losing time with commuting and sitting reserve outside your house? One of the more notable differences I've become aware of is after you run your last checklist, you are done. No office visits, no hanging out, no nagging list of requirements or videos to watch. Your time begins as soon as you are done at the aircraft...why give any of that time up? There are projections and estimates of when people can move domiciles or upgrade but why gamble? You also want your next interview to be your last one. Set your work up in a location that meets all of your other life goals and remember:

the people who survive this industry when it constricts are the people at the top...you don't get to the top without time served.
I know dudes at Airtran who went there due to domicile. Now they're staring at commuting way the eff West due to the SW merger and the resulting domicile displacement. So it certainly ain't that simple I'm afraid. Now, if you can afford to uproot the family every time your career gets domicile displaced, sure location location location.

BTW, what's junior domicile at American these days?
Old 11-18-2013, 04:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Sky Nazi or Kool Aid drinker? My own opinion is mil guys put too much initial emphasis on atmosphere, not economics or upgrades. Five years into your career you will finally understand nobody in management gives a tinkers damn about you, so go based on:

Long term stability
Domicile options
Upgrade demographics
Type flying
Pay

Why is pay last? It often changes. The other factors can also change but tend to be more static.

International flying is cool for all the reasons indicated. More money, more adventure, more time off. I would go Us Air/AA and never look back.