Safety Accidents, suggestions on improving safety, etc

Malaysian 777 missing

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
Incredible, 413 posts of theories, guesses and hunches, including some racial undertones and a witch-hunt mentality. One thing we can all agree on is that we can't find it and we don't know for sure what happened to it.

And yes, sir, "some-thing-is-wrong" with your cave like, intolerant mentality.
To a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by CBreezy View Post
Asking questions is one thing. Jumping to conclusions is another. There are so few facts in this case that any conclusions beyond, "it didn't land where it was supposed to" and "something happened to the transponders" is irresponsible. It was only recently confirmed that AN airplane flew west over the islands that many believe most likely is MH370. Beyond that, not a single person on this board is qualified to speculate on intent, motive, or responsible parties since there is literally zero information from what happened during the flight. I would prefer we all stick to the facts because the "tin-foil hat" people are making this counter-productive.

For those that think Pakistan or Iran is responsible, wouldn't it just make more sense for a national actor to just buy an old widebody (i.e. DC-10) to turn into a bomb rather than going through an elaborate hijacking?
So you are saying it would be irrational to investigate Al Queda?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Beyond that, not a single person on this board is qualified to speculate on intent, motive, or responsible parties since there is literally zero information from what happened during the flight. I would prefer we all stick to the facts because the "tin-foil hat" people are making this counter-productive.
I'm as "qualified" as anyone to ponder certain terror-related issues, based on recent military assignments.

For those that think Pakistan or Iran is responsible, wouldn't it just make more sense for a national actor to just buy an old widebody (i.e. DC-10) to turn into a bomb rather than going through an elaborate hijacking?
Pakistan wouldn't do it, certain Pak elements might like to.

As for Iran...I wouldn't absolutely put anything past them.

Also no state actor would take any significant risk of getting caught up in something like this, even peripherally...that's how Regime Change happens. Not saying for sure they wouldn't do it, but the risk would be very carefully considered.

For that reason if a state was involved, it would be through multiple cutouts and at arms-length (to say the least). So if it was state-instigated or sponsored it would still be made to look like non-state actors were responsible.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 AM
With The Resistance

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Burning the Agitprop of the Apparat

Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
Incredible, 413 posts of theories, guesses and hunches, including some racial undertones and a witch-hunt mentality. One thing we can all agree on is that we can't find it and we don't know for sure what happened to it.

And yes, sir, "some-thing-is-wrong" with your cave like, intolerant mentality.
Always amusing to see the pot call the kettle black.

What we do know is that 777s don't take tours all by themselves, we also know that Muslim terror attacks are frequent worldwide events.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ost-plane.html
Old 03-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I'm as "qualified" as anyone to ponder certain terror-related issues, based on recent military assignments.

Pakistan wouldn't do it, certain Pak elements might like to.

As for Iran...I wouldn't absolutely put anything past them.

Also no state actor would take any significant risk of getting caught up in something like this, even peripherally...that's how Regime Change happens. Not saying for sure they wouldn't do it, but the risk would be very carefully considered.

For that reason if a state was involved, it would be through multiple cutouts and at arms-length (to say the least). So if it was state-instigated or sponsored it would still be made to look like non-state actors were responsible.
My former military assignments and graduate degree also allow me to speculate on certain aspects of terrorism. On this issue, without any data, unless there is active intel (which one could argue would be classified and unable to be shared here), no one can do anything other than speculate. Even the most qualified pilots, diplomats, military experts don't have enough data from which to draw intelligent and informed conclusions.

I certainly can appreciate intelligent discussion on this subject but many are making accusations and turning theories into hard facts. I'm sure if we made a lettered list confirmed information without speculation, we'd run out of facts far sooner than running out of letters.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Are we there yet??!!

Joined APC: Apr 2006

Originally Posted by RomeoJulietLima View Post
People who know how to do their stuff, don't screw it up! Trust me! Men and women who know how to fly, don't Fck it up!
You must not have been in this biz very long then.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

My former military assignments and graduate degree also allow me to speculate on certain aspects of terrorism. On this issue, without any data, unless there is active intel (which one could argue would be classified and unable to be shared here), no one can do anything other than speculate. Even the most qualified pilots, diplomats, military experts don't have enough data from which to draw intelligent and informed conclusions.

I certainly can appreciate intelligent discussion on this subject but many are making accusations and turning theories into hard facts. I'm sure if we made a lettered list confirmed information without speculation, we'd run out of facts far sooner than running out of letters.
Please highlight the post where someone has drawn a conclusion. I see lots of educated guesses, plenty of historical references, even some fairly good technical explanations; but no conclusions. Any post will do.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by jungle View Post
Always amusing to see the pot call the kettle black.

What we do know is that 777s don't take tours all by themselves, we also know that Muslim terror attacks are frequent worldwide events.

Malaysia Airline MH370: 9/11-style terror allegations resurface in case of lost plane - Telegraph
You're using a broad brush stroke in order to describe a very specific event. Yes, there are lots of Muslim terrorist groups. There are also Christian terrorist groups. Just because there are far less doesn't mean they are any less culpable BASED ON THE INFORMATION WE HAVE.

Since we are all making wild accusations, why hasn't anyone blamed the Somali pirates for this? Or Hezbollah? What about Bengal Tigers of India? My point is, just because Islamic terrorists have used airlines against the US in the past for destruction doesn't mean that should be the automatic assumption from now on.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by FDXLAG View Post
Please highlight the post where someone has drawn a conclusion. I see lots of educated guesses, plenty of historical references, even some fairly good technical explanations; but no conclusions. Any post will do.
I'm not going to through and pick out how many posts there were where someone said, "the pilot had to take control," or "the pilot had to deactivate," or "the plane is for sure at the bottom of the ocean." I clicked on a random page and found post 398 which had a conclusion.

An educated guess requires information. There are so few facts that anything other than wild conjecture is impossible. An educated guess is "the plane's transponder stopped working and later a Malaysian military radar picked up an airplane flying west. I'm guessing that was MH370." I'd also accept, "the engines kept sending data for x hours after disappearing so the airplane most likely kept flying in a possibly westward direction for x hours."
Old 03-16-2014, 09:55 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2014

I don't want to beat a dead horse re an intercept attempt, but if you think out of the box a bit, I believe it could have been ascertained whether or not the plane was being actively piloted. Why couldn't a fighter scare the crap out of someone flying the 777 just to make him move the stick a bit...you would know if it was on AP or not. I'm sure there would have been ways to know the condition of that aircraft.