Need CRJ200 crews, Afghanistan

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 12
Go to
Quote: Must have been awhile since you were there. ATC is almost all US, Italians at Herat and Germans at Mazar. Airways flying with vectors to the ILS is the norm. You gotta know where the hills are, other than that its not a real demanding environment to fly in.
Interesting, but believable. 2009 was a train wreck. It was improved slightly in 2010, which was the last time I was there.
Quote: I'm guessing you haven't been there...OAKB, OAKN, OAHR, OAJL, OAMS, OAUZ, OABT, OAZI just to name a few. There is scheduled airline service all over the country using 1900's and 737's. As for the armed compound in Kabul, all the westerners live behind armed walls. 21 days on and 10 days off with the opportunity to see the World sounds a whole lot better that a Stateside regional.
Three years, and sever hundred hours flying CAS. Another year on the ground. All that lift is for coalition personnel. We're out this year, or when the money dries up, probably this year.
Quote: Three years, and sever hundred hours flying CAS. Another year on the ground. All that lift is for coalition personnel. We're out this year, or when the money dries up, probably this year.
Very true, seems like they may be about 5 years too late getting this operation going.
Quote: Must have been awhile since you were there. ATC is almost all US, Italians at Herat and Germans at Mazar. Airways flying with vectors to the ILS is the norm. You gotta know where the hills are, other than that its not a real demanding environment to fly in.
Agreed. Was there in 2012, pretty tame. Most of the controllers are western.
Was there in 2013. Still a train wreck. It was safest to fly the published airway system/terminal procedures. Radar coverage was very limited.

When the Coalition Forces pulls out this place will be uber dangerous. Pay me $500,000 (with a hefty life insurance/hostage insurance policy) a year and I'll drive an RJ there. I'd imagine the people there would suffer a similar fate to this crew.

1995 Airstan incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I wasn't really worried about radar coverage, that was the furthest thing from my mind.
Quote: Afghan Jet International Airlines is in need of flight crews for CRJ-200 aircraft to be flown within Afghanistan for scheduled airline service and charter.

You must be:

1. A First Officer with 1500 hours in type. You will be offered command training if you are current, or within one year or current.

2. A First Officer who has 500 hours in type, and is current or within one year current.

3. A Captain who has 1000 hours command time in type.

4. English proficient, with preference given to fluent Afghan language speakers.

5. Hold an FAA, Transport Canada, or JAA / EASA license:

Commercial
ATPL Frozen
ATP or ATPL

6. Hold a current First Class / Class 1 medical

7. Certifiably insane.
Just to add another point:

Yes, the ATC system there is okay lately (I was there 2012-13). However, all of those western controllers are also ISAF contractors. Now I have no official information or insight, but I can only imagine that OAKN/OAKB/OAHR/OAMS will turn the towers over to locals once we leave, and so will the Brits in OAZI once they leave... at which point I believe the whole airspace will sink back to the "wild west". Total and complete Charlie Foxtrot! (more-so than it already is)

Regardless of the ATC mess, I can say with having experienced Afghanistan that this job is not worth it. I know regional FOs may be getting all perked up because the ad does mention a "command" position with 1500 hrs on type, but as WRAP said, I would only consider this with a salary in the ballpark of around $500,000. Yes, I know the regionals aren't the most desirable place to be, but neither is being based in Afghanistan flying RJ routes from Kabul to Kandahar, Herat, and Mazar, IMHO.
I don't know. I didn't really feel a big threat airborne as I did on the ground. I think it's anyone's guess on how it pans out after the troops depart.
Quote: Was there in 2013. Still a train wreck. It was safest to fly the published airway system/terminal procedures. Radar coverage was very limited.

When the Coalition Forces pulls out this place will be uber dangerous. Pay me $500,000 (with a hefty life insurance/hostage insurance policy) a year and I'll drive an RJ there. I'd imagine the people there would suffer a similar fate to this crew.

1995 Airstan incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There has to be a English subtitled version of the movie floating around somewhere. This whole story sounds incredible.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 12
Go to