Ipad Air w/ Foreflight - reception issues?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
iPad Air with JeppFD in the CRJ-200 with heated windows works fine with an external antenna.

Have not got it to work with the internal antenna.
Quote: Thanks for all the feedback! I'm renting an Archer this weekend and I'll see how it works out. I'm also getting a charging cord just in case I run into battery problems. Should come in handy with an airshow TFR that comes within a mile or two of the airport I'm flying out of!
Tested the iPad Air and Foreflight in the Archer and had no reception issues. Worked like a champ on Friday too sitting in the FBO all afternoon watching the T-storms and 25 kt cross winds roll through before I decided to go drink beer instead.
While you can buy the wifi only iPad and save some cash, you'll spend the money you saved on an external bluetooth antenna. In a light GA A/C, there generally is no need for an external antenna, since there are so many windows on your typical GA.

I like having the cell plan personally, because I can pull weather information, etc. from the internet real time when I have coverage. Over here in Hawaii, I get a signal about 70% of the time in between islands.

Additionally, not only does the iPad chip pick up GPS, it picks up GLONASS as well, which is the Russian constellation--so you have some additional redundacy, even though you don't have RAIM.

You have to get an external USB battery off Amazon, or hopefully your A/C has a cigarette lighter adapter!

Did you buy the "Pro" version that supposedly superimposes your position over an approach plate?
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to