Search
Notices
Regional Regional Airlines

One Eagle pilot's prespective.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 11:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

We all know there is NO shortage of pilots. Just a shortage of pilots who work for peanuts, and are afraid to walk the picket line.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2011

There should be no such thing as a 10 year agreement. Add 10 years on to another maybe 5 years to negotiate and you're looking at 15 years under this crap sandwich. The shortage will become more apparent 2018-2020 and you guys will be locked into this thing with no leverage. If you guys are accepting pay freezes for a certain amount of years that's a pay cut with inflation. Don't take less money to fly bigger planes. If you guys vote yes the only hope you have is that it's so bad you can't find enough pilots and it forces them to do something.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Where's my Mai Tai?

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: fins to the left, fins to the right

Originally Posted by Skyvector View Post
I'm not attacking the messenger and Rich is a good guy.

I'm just pointing out that it is easier to take such a stance when you have nothing to lose. The content of this message aside he never spoke up before in the past like this. It's just interesting timing that he does now with one foot out the door.
I have no idea when, but if he was comm chair at the time, he couldn't put anything personal out.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Underpaid...

Joined APC: Nov 2010
Position: French-Canadian

Rich was not the comm chair during BK, he served as the comm chair before BK.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2010

Rich was in favor of the bankruptcy TA. He still stands by the decision. However, when when Paker & company made initial inquiries in July 2012, Rich was against anymore concessions. He has always been against any post bankruptcy concessions.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by Skyvector View Post
I'm not attacking the messenger and Rich is a good guy.

I'm just pointing out that it is easier to take such a stance when you have nothing to lose. The content of this message aside he never spoke up before in the past like this. It's just interesting timing that he does now with one foot out the door.
If the company had threatened us like this when he wasn't already on a flowthrough list, perhaps then he would have taken a stand then. I don't think his timing is interesting at all. Coincidental, sure.

"The content of this message aside..." Why should anyone put the content of the message aside? The content is what matters!

Does it help you at all that many of us who are defending him do not have a foot out the door? That many of us, myself included, have a mortgage/kids/bills/etc. and are willing to stand up anyway? I see no evidence that RK would not be writing this if he did not happen to be on a flowthrough list that he cannot control the timing of. You certainly have not provided any evidence of that.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Originally Posted by ORDinary View Post
If the company had threatened us like this when he wasn't already on a flowthrough list, perhaps then he would have taken a stand then. I don't think his timing is interesting at all. Coincidental, sure.

"The content of this message aside..." Why should anyone put the content of the message aside? The content is what matters!

Does it help you at all that many of us who are defending him do not have a foot out the door? That many of us, myself included, have a mortgage/kids/bills/etc. and are willing to stand up anyway? I see no evidence that RK would not be writing this if he did not happen to be on a flowthrough list that he cannot control the timing of. You certainly have not provided any evidence of that.
Ok. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you.

We all want what is best for our airline. Let's not lose sight of that.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006

I think you guys are missing the point if you're making this about me.

I voted yes to the BK TA because the threat of imposed work rules and no contract was real. It is a simple matter for a BK judge to vaporize our contract. It was the lesser of two evils.

Now we are out of BK and the only way we are giving concessions is if WE choose to do it. Therefore I am a no voter in this situation.

My choice to leave Eagle was very tough. As a 16 year check airman I have a pretty great deal going. I won't make the same money until I upgrade at AA. I would have stayed if Eagle had AAG not chosen this course.

The point is that we finally have the leverage to say no and make it stick. I thought I would share what I learned in Washington to show the side of things that management doesn't want you to see.

My hope is that we call their bluff and we get some substantial improvements - something we can vote yes to.

Rich
Old 03-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Very well written. Unfortunately, I believe it will take people leaving the profession en masse for anybody to make real changes.

For example, I was eating dinner with several non-aviation family members, and all were shocked at the pay. They were shocked that if I changed airlines, I would start at bottom pay. However, whe asked if they would pay $600 round trip to fly from LGA-MCO, they said "oh, god no!". My answer to them was that they really do not care that much, then.

I thought about that afterwards and realized that I was wrong in thinking that way. With the profits that the airlines are making, starting pay for a regional FO could be 80-100k per year and the airlines would still be turning a profit.

The airlines are banking record amounts because the old model of "always be expanding market share" has been abandoned. In other words, I feel that the base problem is that the airlines changed their business models and kept the same old pay scheme.

Personally, I am getting weary of the game. I am seriously considering going back and earning my PhD in a non-aviation field, even though I will be broke and 52 years old when I earn said degree.

How can anyone say things are going well in this country? Anyway... Time to heave a huge sigh and put the monkey suit back on, wondering if this week will be the last straw.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: ERJ, CA

Originally Posted by rlkrutenat View Post
I think you guys are missing the point if you're making this about me.

I voted yes to the BK TA because the threat of imposed work rules and no contract was real. It is a simple matter for a BK judge to vaporize our contract. It was the lesser of two evils.

Now we are out of BK and the only way we are giving concessions is if WE choose to do it. Therefore I am a no voter in this situation.

My choice to leave Eagle was very tough. As a 16 year check airman I have a pretty great deal going. I won't make the same money until I upgrade at AA. I would have stayed if Eagle had AAG not chosen this course.

The point is that we finally have the leverage to say no and make it stick. I thought I would share what I learned in Washington to show the side of things that management doesn't want you to see.

My hope is that we call their bluff and we get some substantial improvements - something we can vote yes to.

Rich
As a member of the 83% who said NO, I thank you for your input and giving details to what we all (mostly) know. We regional pilots do not operate in a vacuum.