Question about Headset Etiquette - A320

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to
This may seem silly...

I'm new to the Airbus 319/320 and have only jumpseated thus far, but will be occupying the right seat soon enough.

I love having great conversation in cruise about all manner of things, but I,ve always done it through a boom mike and a high quality ANR headset.

I also admit I like hearing ATC in the same way and responding with a simple push to talk button as opposed to a speaker and hand mike. Seems less stressful and feels like less work.

Is there a solution? Is there any way to maintain a headset preference for myself without damping conversation, or appearing to be rude when the other guy will be going topless at 18000?

Im looking to maintain total unobstructed cohesiveness between non-wearer and wearer, and not throw up a wall when they shed. Is it even possible?

Or... Is the A319/320 more quiet than I think and this is a moot point?
More quiet, you'll want to take the headsets off as soon as your company's rules allow.
Quote: More quiet, you'll want to take the headsets off as soon as your company's rules allow.
Unless you are in Cuban airspace
Fly the jet for 100h then think.
I think that in your initial brief with your captains, you should make sure you mention that you're "looking to maintain total unobstructed cohesiveness" with them.
Quote: This may seem silly...

I'm new to the Airbus 319/320 and have only jumpseated thus far, but will be occupying the right seat soon enough.

I love having great conversation in cruise about all manner of things, but I,ve always done it through a boom mike and a high quality ANR headset.

I also admit I like hearing ATC in the same way and responding with a simple push to talk button as opposed to a speaker and hand mike. Seems less stressful and feels like less work.

Is there a solution? Is there any way to maintain a headset preference for myself without damping conversation, or appearing to be rude when the other guy will be going topless at 18000?

Im looking to maintain total unobstructed cohesiveness between non-wearer and wearer, and not throw up a wall when they shed. Is it even possible?

Really? I think I'd be more focused on flying a nice jet and being the best FO you can be. Headset protocol should be way down your list at this point.

If all else fails, do what he does.
Quote: This may seem silly...

The older 320's sound like a hurricane in a barn...otherwise they are reasonably quiet. Leave the headset on and uncover one ear. If the CA is a dick...errr...rigid...uncover the farthest ear.
Quote: Unless you are in Cuban airspace
Noob.

I wear reading glasses. In cruise I take off my QC-15 and go with the overhead speaker and mic primarily because it's ackward to put the O2 mask on over my glasses and the headset. The newer -800, -900 737s are not very noisy when the indicated airspeed is below 250 IMHO. I'm more comfortable without the headset especially going to and from Hawaii.
Thanks to to those who took the time to give me real answers. I guess I knew better than to ask this here.

I just wondered what to expect and techniques that are used in narrow body cockpits wrt headsets and how loud the aircraft really are.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to