Banner towing business

Subscribe
This topic may have been beat to death. After 30 years of running a IT consulting business I have decided its time to make a career change start a banner towing business and get out from behind the desk. I really don't want to get into running anything big, because quite frankly I'm not into babysitting employees. (the brilliant people who work for me are the most high maintenance)

I plan on operating in the Baltimore area; that includes all the issues with dealing with the SFRA.
I am looking at a Citabria for operations and also toying with the idea of skywriting.
This would be a one plane operation; I don't want to expand it beyond that.

Because this is my first time diving into banner towing, I have a few questions:
  1. Marketing: what is the standard commission for banner sales? I would hire a sales person part time to do the sales.
  2. Cost to customer: what is the standard billing rate for banner towing? How are contracts normally configured? Is the normal contract a year contract for so many x hours or a contract for x towing hours over a period of time?
  3. Accounts Receivable: Is the normal billing net 30 billed monthly for that months towing?
  4. Are there issues with slow pay / no pay customers? If so, how are they normally dealt with? My current business I only had that problem once and put in a stop work after 90 days past due.
  5. Equipment: other then the standard banner towing kit I see advertised a few places. Is there other spare equipment that should / must be kept on hand?

I will most likely have a bunch of other questions.

Thanks,
-Rob