T-34C with VT-28 down near NAS Corpus

Subscribe
Pilots Uninjured After U.S. Navy Trainer Plane Crashes in the Gu - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

I'm glad they took that bailout briefing seriously
Crew, canopy, harness, cords, mask, crouch, dive, pull.

If we have time, slower, lower, squawk, talk, turn off, turn away.

Forever ingrained in my brain. I never had much faith in the bailout option, but would have tried it if I had to.
We all would have. It was tougher in a T-28 than in a Teenie Weenie.
1. Ejection handle - PULL

Oh wait, wrong plane. I'm glad I got to fly the T-34 as an IP, but I'll be honest, as many OCF issues as it was having (not speculating on this one, haven't heard anything one way or the other) I was glad to move on to the T-6B.
Quote: 1. Ejection handle - PULL

Oh wait, wrong plane. I'm glad I got to fly the T-34 as an IP, but I'll be honest, as many OCF issues as it was having (not speculating on this one, haven't heard anything one way or the other) I was glad to move on to the T-6B.
Deacronymify please - OCF? Out of Control Flight? Is that the GA equiv of unusual attitudes? (albeit more unusual?). What were the issues?

I have an hour in a civvie T34A and the only thing I remember about egress was: Canopy, 2 seatbelts, dive over the trailing edge, and if I was still in the plane on the 3rd eject call, I'd be by myself.

Very happy everyone is safe.
OCF = Out of Control Flight.

Way more aggressive than unusual attitudes. In most UAs, the plane is still flying, or maybe just in a stall.

OCF training in the Navy does full on departure from controlled flight, in addition to spins, stalls and unusual attitudes, which we didn't consider OCF.
Slight caveat on that, spins are actually OCF, although in the T-34, easily recoverable (usually) and practiced a lot.
Think of OCF as when you put in control inputs and the aircraft doesn't respond, usually because it is tumbling through the air and not producing any lift.
Instructors regularly practice progressive and control release spins, full stalls, spirals, cross control departures, rudder swap departures, and a few other maneuvers. Occasionally a bent airplane will have difficulty recovering. Not sure what happened in this case, but the T-34 is getting pretty long in the tooth.