What to use for Date of Availability

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
Quote: Can't wait to see the letter of recommendation you'll write for him when he asks in a couple years.

"Remember now, 7 years, 10 years, 20 years…it ain't enough. If I need you another two weeks to get me through this Inspection/Exercise etc, why should I let you go? What did you ever do for your country, quitter?"

Seems the closer I get to walking out the door, the more I hear some version of this. Just validates my decision to make a change and makes me glad I didn't wait any longer.
Quote: Seems the closer I get to walking out the door, the more I hear some version of this. Just validates my decision to make a change and makes me glad I didn't wait any longer.

Most dudes I know have apps on their iPhone counting down the days to either retirement or separation. Just saying. Sad. The PC/BS police have won.
Thanks to all for comments here. This is a topic I've been wondering about myself. Like Albie and others have said, I'd hate to be involved in that uncomfortable conversation if I gamed my date.
I put down the availability date based on the earliest I could retire minus PTDY and Leave as mentioned above (1 May). Then once I had two interviews in Jan (but no definite class dates), I would send AFPC a retirement eligibility request every month for a late summer/early fall retirement and never execute it (it would expire after 2 weeks). That way I was prepared to submit official retirement paperwork at a moments notice without having to wait for AFPC to review my eligibility. Despite these efforts, I still guessed a month off (requested 1 Oct retirement with earliest available of 20 June and got the call for a 2 June class a few weeks after submitting my official request). I then submitted a request to change my retirement to 1 Sep and it only took about 10 days to get that approved from AFPC. I attended indoc using normal leave, returned on a Friday and signed out on terminal leave and ended up selling about 15 days of leave back. I finish my airline sim course on Monday and will have my retirement ceremony next week--using mil leave from airline to guarantee 3 days off. Then I sit reserve in Aug and should hold a line in Sept. Summer has been a blur but can't complain with 3 months of double dipping.
Gr8vu is a good example of planning ahead and having one's ducks in a row. Caught the wave, got on with a great legacy, and while stressful at times is in a great place to enjoy the next decade. Had a couple offers to fall back on in a pinch as well. That didn't start 120 days prior to retirement…. He's a good example of how to plan this process (see: "Timing your Exit" and "Avoiding Square Corners…")
Gr8vu, check PM from me. Thanks!!
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to