Valuation: GI Bill txfer vs. early employment

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
Quote: What if your kids are brainiacs and want to go to Stanford or Harvard?
If they go to Stanford, chances are you will not be able to use the GI Bill.
If you have a class date for a major, retire. Then, if the last 10-15 years are any indication, they will offer a retired return to service in the USAF. You come back in, serve 3-4 more years as a staffer or T-38 IP and , it all works out. They Reserves may even open the door to previous retirees like they did in the past.

AC
Quote: If you have a class date for a major, retire. Then, if the last 10-15 years are any indication, they will offer a retired return to service in the USAF. You come back in, serve 3-4 more years as a staffer or T-38 IP and , it all works out. They Reserves may even open the door to previous retirees like they did in the past.

AC
Bingo, we saw the same thing happen post Carter under Pres. Regan. Huge increase in pilot staffing. Best seniority story ever was a 12 year USAF Captain who got hired at American, then went back on active duty, made it to 0-4, six years later returned and checked out as Captain with less than 12 months on the line at AA. That happened in the late 1960's-early 1970's. Saw something similar at NWA 1998-2003. History repeats.
Quote: If they go to Stanford, chances are you will not be able to use the GI Bill.
Why? What am I missing?
Quote: The GI Bill is worth about $66k total (today's tuition rates) in my area.
????? 36 months at E-5 BAH is worth at least $36K. Are you saying your state tuition/books/etc is less than $8K a year???? I think you need to reevaluate your numbers.
Quote: If they go to Stanford, chances are you will not be able to use the GI Bill.
Wrong.

Financial Aid and the Yellow Ribbon Program : Stanford University

Of course they can use the GI Bill at Stanford.

That assumes the GI Bill will still be around in its present form in 15-20 years...
Quote: ViperDrvr: I stand by my original advice, do not pass up a seniority number if you have a hire date after your 20 year point. Jimmy Carter decimated the VA educational benefits and it took until almost the year 2000 to get them restored.

As I always say, a bush in the hand is worth two at the bar. Lock in your military pension and don't delay the seniority number.
+1

Guys are passing up $125k bonus for seniority numbers, that GI Bill will cost you a LOT more if you miss a year of seniority for it, or worse it's the difference between being furloughed or not.
Quote: +1

Guys are passing up $125k bonus for seniority numbers, that GI Bill will cost you a LOT more if you miss a year of seniority for it, or worse it's the difference between being furloughed or not.
+1

If the number is your goal, don't pass up any chance to get one. At 100 per month, it's the difference between being a Captain for the last ten or more years of your career or not.

If I can't see the government in my rifle sights, I don't trust it. Ever wonder why they want to take away your guns?
Guys,
I appreciate all the advice! Thanks for taking the time to jot it down.

Quote: If you have a class date for a major, retire. Then, if the last 10-15 years are any indication, they will offer a retired return to service in the USAF. You come back in, serve 3-4 more years as a staffer or T-38 IP and , it all works out. They Reserves may even open the door to previous retirees like they did in the past.

Interesting--not something I'd even considered. Thanks!

Quote: ????? 36 months at E-5 BAH is worth at least $36K. Are you saying your state tuition/books/etc is less than $8K a year???? I think you need to reevaluate your numbers.

I did underestimate a bit, depending on their course load. I plugged the min credit hours per semester for "full time" (12) vs. a higher course load. At 18hrs/semster, the 36mo value bumped up to $75k. Thanks for having me take a second look!
Quote: At 100 per month, it's the difference between being a Captain for the last ten or more years of your career or not.
It is extremely unlikely that 600 numbers in a crewforce of 12000 (that's 5%) will mean 10 years less as a captain. It is possible, but very unlikely. It is also possible that it could be the difference between a furlough, or hanging on to the bottom narrowbody FO for a few years. Again unlikely, you will probably either be furloughed or not, regardless of the 600#s. So assuming worst case and you are furloughed (or stuck at the lowest paying FO seat), would you rather be there with the kids ivy league college paid for, or figuring out how to afford the local community college...

Just being a contrarian I suppose...
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to