Logging XC time

Subscribe
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything on the subject. I think I know the answer but wanted to make sure...As an ATP pilot flying for a 121 carrier as an F/O, can you log XC time if you do an air return to the same airport you departed?

Also I assume gate returns are in the same category.

Thanks.
Logging XC time
The fars define a cross country as a flight to another airport. Except for the qualifications to get an ATP you can count a flight of over 50nm straight line as cross country without having to land at another airport. This only counts toward meeting the requirements of an ATP. Since you must already have an ATP I would only log it if you land at another airport.
Dick Rutan tells a great story about flying the Voyager around the world, non-stop. It took 9 days. Because he took off from and landed at Edwards Air Force Base, he could not log the flight as a cross-country. Only the FAA...
Thanks OnCenterline. Now that you said that I remember that now from way back.
Quote: Dick Rutan tells a great story about flying the Voyager around the world, non-stop. It took 9 days. Because he took off from and landed at Edwards Air Force Base, he could not log the flight as a cross-country. Only the FAA...
Since he was NOT using that time for any rating or certification, he can log that time in any manner he chooses correct?
Quote: Dick Rutan tells a great story about flying the Voyager around the world, non-stop. It took 9 days. Because he took off from and landed at Edwards Air Force Base, he could not log the flight as a cross-country. Only the FAA...
So he was trying to get his commercial pilot certificate?
The question: Can you log xc if the airplane returns to the same airport?

Answer: Maybe!!! It all depends on what rating you are going for. If you are going for a commercial certificate then no. Its airport to airport. If you are going for an ATP then yes you can IF it was farther than 50nm straight line distance. (ex. pilot takes off and lands on an aircraft carrier and flies 300 miles) Beyond that there is no FAA need to keep track so they do not give specific guide lines. However, if you are doing this for a future job, then do what ever you think they would want to see. Hope this helps.
Quote: The question: Can you log xc if the airplane returns to the same airport?

Answer: Maybe!!! It all depends on what rating you are going for. If you are going for a commercial certificate then no. Its airport to airport.
Unless you are a military pilot.