Copa ATP Freeze

Subscribe
Hi I am considering going to Copa Airlines. I currently have 1100 TT. But with the New ATP rule I am worried about jumping ship without getting my ATP minimums done. I have a good job that lets me build substantial hours but I am kind of ready to get out of flight instructing. So I want to know will working for Copa Airlines give you the ATP freeze like other U.S. Airlines?
So I have to ask, what's the "ATP freeze?"

And then, since I think I know what you're asking, I'd say as a CFI you should have a current copy of part 61.
Copa is not faa you'd have to see what their rules a mins are for their Dgac. Once you get the hours you can always go to the U.S. And do your ATP ride for cheap
Copa ATP Freeze
Copa is a 129 operator. I think they require 1500 tt if you are not from Panama.
Quote:
Hi I am considering going to Copa Airlines. I currently have 1100 TT. But with the New ATP rule I am worried about jumping ship without getting my ATP minimums done. I have a good job that lets me build substantial hours but I am kind of ready to get out of flight instructing. So I want to know will working for Copa Airlines give you the ATP freeze like other U.S. Airlines?
Are you talking about a frozen ATP? In the USA we don't have frozen ATPs, either you have one or you don't... same applies to Copa. Your not qualified with 1100tt.
Copa is taking foreign FO with 1000 hours if you look on the website. And I talked to a pilot that works for them who got on with 1000 hours.
Quote: So I have to ask, what's the "ATP freeze?"

And then, since I think I know what you're asking, I'd say as a CFI you should have a current copy of part 61.
If you aren't going to answer the question and be condescending at the same time, don't post....
Well he says he's a CFI so he should be able to read the regs. I'm guessing he was asking about the use of an expired written if you are employed by a 121 carrier. The new ATP rules capped old writtens at 24 months.
Copa Airlines is governed by the AAC. That is the Panamanian equivalent of the FAA. Many of the regs are a carbon copy from the US. I'm not sure if the AAC has adopted any sort of FAR117 or 1500 hour rule equivalent. (My guess is no way.) If Copa is advertising for 1000 hour FO's then that answers one question. Most Panamanian FO's had approximately 250 hours of total time when they start. If Copa is hiring expat FO's with 1000 total time, then go for it if you can pass the sim evaluation and get hired. The real question is do you want to work for Copa and live in Panama. I highly suggest you do your homework on this.

One poster above was talking about reading the regs... Keep in mind the AAC regs are written in Spanish. FWIW, The general ops manual used by Copa was also written in Spanish. It was a Panamanian adjusted copy of the Continental manual that was eventually translated into Spanish.

Copa is certainly not for everyone, but it can be a solution for some. Make sure your go in with your eyes open.

Best of luck with your decision!