Help: ATP SEL no need for multi written?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
Why not call the FSDO? If they don't know they can try Oklahoma City.
Quote: Your right, it is (f) and not (c) if you already hold the ATP SE. However, to take the ME ATP written, you'll have to complete the CTP per 61.153.
Ahh...looking at the written test requirements matrix (http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/...ing_matrix.pdf), this appears to be correct. So the requirement of (f) is the same as (c)? Too bad, because I was thinking of getting the SE ATP first as well.

Thanks TW.
Quote: Why not call the FSDO? If they don't know they can try Oklahoma City.
The FSDO is usually the worst source you can use for regulatory questions. The FSDO is not authorized to interpret regulation, and not uncommonly, the understanding of an inspector at the FSDO level of the regulation (and the Federal Register preambles and Legal Interpretations of the regulation) is unimpressive. Whatever you get at the FSDO level with regard to regulatory information, advice, or counsel is NOT defensible at a hearing, so it's worth no more than what you'll get in a session of hangar flying...or here.

Why not make the effort to do a little research (like read the regulation)?
Here is a scenario...
A commercial pilot took the ATP exam prior to 1 Aug 2014. He decides he wants to do his ATP SEL first. Can he take the ATP SE knowledge test after 1 Aug 2014 and use that exam for his ATP SE practical? Later (within 24 months of the original ATP knowledge test) take his ATP ME practical?
Hello Everyone. I don't post much, but I have talked with the local FSDO (Vegas) on this one. Here is their stance. They say that 61.165(f) addresses this exact scenario. If someone passed the ATP written prior to the rule change, they have 2 years to complete the ATP practical test (SE or ME). If the person uses the written results to take the ATP SE checkride, they will need to take the new ME ATP written prior to the ATP ME checkride (IAW 61.165(f). In order to take the new written, they will require the CTP course, at additional cost. This cost can be avoided by taking the ATP ME checkride first.
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to