Not understanding AoA indicators...

Subscribe
5  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  25 
Page 15 of 26
Go to
Oh, yeah. Nyeeer! Right over my head.

Statement still stands.
"Not many GA pilots land on carrier decks (BTW which could easily be done in my 182 without an AOA gauge)."

Ok. Might go like this then:

Paddles: In the Groove, call the ball.
CessnaAce: Negative Ball. AOA disabled. No further call-outs necessary…harrumph!
Paddles: Rog.
CessnaAce: Paddles be advised; I’m gonna catch the 3 with my left wheel fairing, perform a 180, and will be ready for immediate launch on Cat1. Please clear the deck.
Paddles: Roger. Will have Tower instruct pattern aircraft go Delta Clean.

Meanwhile: (LSO’s all huddled up slapping each other’s backs with big proud smiles) That’s our Ace!
Quote: I'd really like to watch Doc try to land his 182 on a carrier...at night during blue water ops with a pitching deck in bad Wx. Easy peezy, right doc?? You can do it, hotshot. No sweat. Heck, we should start calling you Maverick.
Looks like somebody already beat me to it! I don't recall hearing about this at all but obviously it was a long ago.

A South Vietnamese Air Force Officer Was Responsible for One of the Craziest Carrier Landings of All Time | The Tactical Air Network.

Video of the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so9XRUbBGj8

Don't feel threatened, big guy Alt. I'd bet a lot of pros here wouldn't take my bird into a 1400 foot field. A little practice and they all could. It's a different skill. We can all be aviators, right?

Quote: If I'm not mistaken, he's kind of known for being an a-hole.

Didn't he also fly with a broken arm? Some of the stuff going on during those days isn't exactly what you'd want to brag about when you are concerned about safety...
Yeah - nobody likes him in real life, even his family. It is a shame because he is otherwise so legendary and I used to really look up to him as a kid. Often people's "feats" don't really align with expectations of their gallantry. RIP Neil Armstrong, but a lot of people have written that he was a jerk too.
Quote: I don't think he's an a-hole. He means well; he just doesn't know enough to know what he doesn't know. It gets a little annoying sometimes when he tries to lecture professionals about their profession, but beyond that he is pretty harmless.
That's Dr. A-hole to you, mister. Maverick also works.

Don't make me give you a lecture about proper respect.
Quote: Often people's "feats" don't really align with expectations of their gallantry. RIP Neil Armstrong, but a lot of people have written that he was a jerk too.
I think he just wanted privacy, which some people interpreted as a snub. We imagine that famous people have a "duty" to be outgoing and talkative, as our reward for admiring them.
Quote: I think he just wanted privacy, which some people interpreted as a snub. We imagine that famous people have a "duty" to be outgoing and talkative, as our reward for admiring them.
Yeager is a jerk.

Armstrong was supposedly a nice guy and humble, but wanted to live a quiet life, not signing autographs all the time.
Quote:
Don't feel threatened, Alt.
OK I'll try not to, Doc. I just hope you realize how much your super-baaaad Chuck Norris-like 182 skills are so terribly intimidating to naval aviators, much less any other professional pilots.
Quote: I think he just wanted privacy, which some people interpreted as a snub. ̶W̶e̶ Some folks imagine that famous people have a "duty" to be outgoing and talkative, as ̶o̶u̶r̶ their reward for admiring them.

This. Fixed.
Quote: Yeager is a jerk.
You met him also? Flew him somewhere on a Saab 340, he was to awesome of a guy to say HI back while deplaning.
When Glamorous Glennis died, he remarried.

It appears Yeager is the only person who likes her.

His own kids filed a lawsuit against him, because she was blocking the estate (for herself, of course).

Different Long story short: 30 years ago, my squadron invited Yeager to be a guest speaker at a dinner.

He wanted $2000 plus transportation.

By chance, we ran into Yeager's old squadron mate Bud Anderson.

Anderson did it for the price of a steak dinner at the O-club.

I had just finished reading "The Right Stuff."

Yeager went from Hero to Zero.
5  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  25 
Page 15 of 26
Go to