Cloud seeding?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
Quote: ...there is flying into thunderstorms, and then there is flying into thunderstorms.
And there was even supersonic flying into thunderstorms. On purpose!

http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/noaa_docume.../report_15.pdf
I always thought cloud seeding was scammy and questionable science. But if you get some flight hours out of it, more power to you.
Quote: I've never done this kind of work, but there is flying into thunderstorms, and then there is flying into thunderstorms. I'm sure it will as safe as safe can be. Flying into a fully developed storm probably wouldn't help the project (downdrafts have started), and if you did, you'd probably waste no time looking for a ground-bound job.

Nothing will scare you like severe and extreme turbulence and the associated total loss of control. Been there, done that, and I do NOT want the t-shirt!
We built and operated dedicated ground based enhanced radars for the research, and found and repeatedly penetrated large storms. Fully developed storms with downdrafts that have started also have continuing upshear, especially on active cells, and it's the upshear (upwind side of the cell, generally) that one is penetrating. It can be quite violent.
What is the pay range for this? Any idea on type of schedule? Is it rotational or standard 5 days a week sort of thing?
Sounds like good fodder for an interview/icebreaker down the road if nothing else...
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to