Delta optional Life Insurance vs. SGLI

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
Quote: Do not give up your SGLI. The other policies will always have exclusions including combat death clauses, private or military flying, scuba as a small example. If something happens to you in the first two years of taking out a policy expect your family to have to battle to get paid. My son in law was talked into dropping his VGLI and picking up insurance with Armed Forces benefit association because it was cheaper. Despite assurances it was a rollover from SGLI they have refused to pay. It's now 3 years since his death and my daughter and granddaughter face at least another year of expensive litigation to get paid.
This has been bugging me since I read it last night. I'm really sorry your family is going through this. Were there any extenuating circumstances? Is what you listed the actual company name, or a general reference to a non-governmental association?

I wouldn't say I have ever talked anyone into dropping SGLI, but I have certainly recommended AAFMAA a lot since the prices are good, there are no war/aviation clauses, and you can take it with you when you leave the service. I wouldn't mind hearing more details about your experience (if you are willing) to make sure I have the total picture and don't lead my family or anyone else in a bad direction.
I do Delta, a USAA plan and sgli
Gents,

All great responses, thank you. I think there is a clear case to keep things diversified to include SGLI, even though its expensive.

Sailingfun, I am really sorry to hear about your daughter's situation, and I hope it gets resolved soon.
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to