Start Here?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 3 of 5
Go to
Quote: Yep.

I've met plenty of folks that wanted to cut corners and save $$: cheap suit, hold off on the Medical, avoid the sim prep, etc...

If that's your style, then go for it.

Yup. You're shooting for a multi-million dollar job, and stressing over $100 for a medical? By the time I finally got the phone call, I was probably $6-7K invested in hotels, plane tickets, networking, sim and interview prep, suits, app fee's etc. The guys that half ass it, it shows. Whether they get the job or not. Fair or unfair, it's the game that must be played.
And don't forget to keep up your hours before punching out. I am finishing in a staff job where I'm only bagging hours here and there to the tune of 100/year. That's not enough no matter how sparkling my resume is. So...off to the regionals till my recency (not currency mind you, I've kept that) is built back up.
Quote: And don't forget to keep up your hours before punching out. I am finishing in a staff job where I'm only bagging hours here and there to the tune of 100/year. That's not enough no matter how sparkling my resume is. So...off to the regionals till my recency (not currency mind you, I've kept that) is built back up.
My last job was part-time, day, VFR single engine piston in that annual range. All the guys I worked with got hired.

121 time will help help your resume, but don't sell yourself short. My understanding (and experience) is that current is current. Good luck.
Being current did work to pick up an offer for the regionals, but I have it from two sources at jetBlue that the recency thing will be a show-stopper.
Like you said though, I'm pressing on as if it didn't matter. If I get the 121 in the regionals that'll be good, if I get picked up for Majors directly, all the better... but I'm good with however it turns out.
Quote: Yup. You're shooting for a multi-million dollar job, and stressing over $100 for a medical? By the time I finally got the phone call, I was probably $6-7K invested in hotels, plane tickets, networking, sim and interview prep, suits, app fee's etc. The guys that half ass it, it shows. Whether they get the job or not. Fair or unfair, it's the game that must be played.
I was merely wondering if the class I had to be current at time of app. It'll just be tough to keep it current in a country w/no AME's, i'm not opposed to taking trip every 6 months to the states to update it, just didn't know if it was required. I'm certainly willing to do what it takes, i just didn't know the rules of the game.
Quote: I was merely wondering if the class I had to be current at time of app. It'll just be tough to keep it current in a country w/no AME's, i'm not opposed to taking trip every 6 months to the states to update it, just didn't know if it was required. I'm certainly willing to do what it takes, i just didn't know the rules of the game.
plenty of places in japan to get your medical. Just costs a bit more. Ask around when you get there. Your flight surgeon will probably know.
https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/

Search by country
If you're 2 years out, that probably equates to about a year and a half where you really don't need a Class I. However that said, why let it lapse, because it's always easier to keep a Class I than it is to get a new one, and in the overall scheme of things, it's cheap.

Many of the respondents have mentioned that you would do well by doing a ton of research here. Your comment was (basically) "why bother to reinvent a wheel." In my mind, the reason to do the research is at least two fold: the first reason is that you will almost undoubtedly have all your questions answered; while the second is that by doing your research, you will come across many more questions and answers that you would never have thought about in the first place, thus making the whole learning experience more valuable. Just my take, as one old time hog driver to another.
Quote: Being current did work to pick up an offer for the regionals, but I have it from two sources at jetBlue that the recency thing will be a show-stopper.
How does Jetblue define currency? I thought 100 a year hit the mark.

Based on experience of myself and my coworkers, that's current enough for SWA and Delta (only one of them was a test pilot/astronaut).

With your attitude you'll do fine. Keep plugging and good luck.
Quote: Don't be confused. I'm not an eagle guy, not that that's a bad thing, those guys are awesome. Anyway, I'm not sure about your community, but for individuals that work hard in their careers and have leadership roles and opportunities, it's a bit faux pas to spread the word you're 'pulling the handle' two years out. I can't really network at work, b/c it would stop the advancement. Fair, maybe not, but it's reality.

BTW-I"m "not opposed to commuting" b/c I try to find the positive in every environment. Kinda like, hey I have my dream job, i'll put up w/a lil' BS now for hopefully a better situation later...

thank you all for the info
I was hired at a major 2 years ago and since then almost all of my friends who were considering it then have been hired too. I get your point. Our SQ/CC chastised us multiple times for talking airlines at work (single seat fighter SQ). It's hard to do on the down low.

More than happy to answer any questions via PM or phone.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 3 of 5
Go to