Is being a pilot for me?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 1 of 4
Go to
I really enjoy aviation and everything about it. I can watch aviation videos on Youtube for hours. I really want to become a pilot, I just don't know if its for me. I took a discovery flight the other day in a Cessna 172 and it was super windy, turbulent and it kind of rattled me to start off but I got more comfortable as the flight went on. I also kept feeling that sinking feeling which kind of freaked me out. Will I get used to all of this stuff? Is it normal? I really want to become a pilot I just don't know if it's for me. I understand all of the salaries and that is a tough road. I just want to know if I will have a passion for the actual flying part. I want to like it! I just don't know if I do, I'm hoping I will just get used to it and will grow into all the turbulence and weird feelings of a small airplane.
Quote: I really enjoy aviation and everything about it. I can watch aviation videos on Youtube for hours. I really want to become a pilot, I just don't know if its for me. I took a discovery flight the other day in a Cessna 172 and it was super windy, turbulent and it kind of rattled me to start off but I got more comfortable as the flight went on. I also kept feeling that sinking feeling which kind of freaked me out. Will I get used to all of this stuff? Is it normal? I really want to become a pilot I just don't know if it's for me. I understand all of the salaries and that is a tough road. I just want to know if I will have a passion for the actual flying part. I want to like it! I just don't know if I do, I'm hoping I will just get used to it and will grow into all the turbulence and weird feelings of a small airplane.
Go fly again on a nice day early in the morning, rinse and repeat 2 or 3 times and I suspect you will answer your question.
I agree, go fly a bit more and see how it goes.

The biggest issue is your motivation. If you want it, you'll want it. If you stay "unsure" it very well may not be the path for you.
I think it's pretty normal to feel like that the first few lessons, I know I did. There's a lot going on and it's all pretty unfamiliar. I remember there were times when I was motion sick and a miserable during the first few hours.

But like those guys said, as long as your motivated to get through that part it should be all worth it in the end if it's what you really want to do.
I agree with Sailing. Go fly on a nice day.
Yeah it takes a bit of time to get used to all the feelings. I only have 27 hours, but I got used to everything pretty quickly. I don't notice most mild bumps anymore.

The first few hours were a bit uncomfortable, it's normal I think.
I would agree with what the previous posters have stated as well. Something that I noted when I was flight instructing was that the average student needed two or three flights before they started becoming accustomed to the sights and sensations that they were experiencing. Once that occurred, the real learning started and most did just fine.
If it makes you feel any better, Stets, I was a Naval Aviator. The first and only time I ever threw up in an airplane was in a Flying Club Cessna 152 on a windy, bumpy day.
Quote: I really enjoy aviation and everything about it. I can watch aviation videos on Youtube for hours. I really want to become a pilot, I just don't know if its for me. I took a discovery flight the other day in a Cessna 172 and it was super windy, turbulent and it kind of rattled me to start off but I got more comfortable as the flight went on. I also kept feeling that sinking feeling which kind of freaked me out. Will I get used to all of this stuff? Is it normal? I really want to become a pilot I just don't know if it's for me. I understand all of the salaries and that is a tough road. I just want to know if I will have a passion for the actual flying part. I want to like it! I just don't know if I do, I'm hoping I will just get used to it and will grow into all the turbulence and weird feelings of a small airplane.
don't sweat it too hard bud. I tossed my cookies a few times. Took me a few years as a new pilot to get over all of it!

You will be okay.
18,000 hours later, I still hate turbulence.
1  2  3  4 
Page 1 of 4
Go to