Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: Early Retiree SWA
Default The Emirates Advantage… Not just subsidies

Pilot Workload at Emirates Under Question - WSJ
Old 04-10-2015, 04:32 AM
Otto

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Turkish Pile Driver

Then throw in a guess how much most of their ground personnel earn. I cannot speak for Emirates since I didn't have the opportunity to speak with their people directly; however, when I lived there I spoke with security guards, people who worked on my villa, and people who worked in the mall -- they typically earned $2000 to $4000 a year, had their passports taken from them, and lived in spaces that would make the most ghetto crash pad feel like a palace. The way the oil monarchies treat their imported labor is criminal in most western countries.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

A good friend of min from college is a capt at EK. Last I talked to him he was frequently getting whipped to 100 hours a month of flight time. Reports of the company not paying guys for anything beyond guarantee too. Said he had flown with an FO the week prior who had flown 93 hours and paid only his monthly guarantee. No Union, no labor laws to defend him either the way he explained it, and those stories aren't unique from what he said.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: Early Retiree SWA

Everything you two say…. is true. Sadly….
Old 04-10-2015, 05:37 AM
SDQ Base Chief

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: 320 CA

This kind of thing won't stop until there is a global aviation policy maker (C'mon ICAO) who can regulate the industry as a whole.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:27 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Originally Posted by Grumble View Post
A good friend of min from college is a capt at EK. Last I talked to him he was frequently getting whipped to 100 hours a month of flight time. Reports of the company not paying guys for anything beyond guarantee too. Said he had flown with an FO the week prior who had flown 93 hours and paid only his monthly guarantee. No Union, no labor laws to defend him either the way he explained it, and those stories aren't unique from what he said.
I must be pretty lucky. I have been here 7 years and have never gotten 100 hours of flight time nor have I had any pay errors either.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:28 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: Bus FO

Just to play Devils advocate: I was in Montego Bay a cople years ago and asked if the agent would like something from Anne's pretzels. I got her some little pretzel bites. Turns out they cost about a half a day's pay for her...

And I work for an airline based in the US
Old 04-10-2015, 07:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: CA

I'd like to know if the contractor UAL uses in India pays a " living wage" to their below wing employees. Doubt they're making $US17.50/hr.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:36 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Originally Posted by Flyby1206 View Post
This kind of thing won't stop until there is a global aviation policy maker (C'mon ICAO) who can regulate the industry as a whole.
Be careful. Advocating regulation on a board full of GOTP pilots will make some heads explode.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009

United Airlines I guess is having some troubles complying with crew legalities under FAR 117 as well. Caught a blip of that on the news today.

What's interesting about the WSJ article is that it states, "Ismail Al Balooshi, director of aviation safety affairs at the General Civil Aviation Authority, the U.A.E.’s airline regulator, said in an interview he would now investigate allegations that state-owned Emirates isn't fully reporting pilot duty hours......" Tee-hee-hee.

Why Tee-hee-hee? If you look at the mafia, eh, I mean ruling family flowchart in the whitepaper exposing the subsidies to the Big ME 3(page 64), it shows how 3 guys basically control just about everything in Dubai. Ismail Al Balooshhi (mentioned above) works for the director of aviation safety affairs at the General Civil Aviation authority, which is the UAE's airline regulator. He's going to "investigate" the alleged problems at Emirates.

Wait, it gets better. Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum is the President of the General Civil Aviation authority. Guess what else Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum is? A Chairman at Emriates!! You can't make this stuff up. Remember how I posted United is in a bit of trouble right now too with the FAA? It would be like Jeff Smisek (United's CEO) being the FAA administrator AND senior management at United Airlines. I wonder how impartial an investigation that would be? And, of course, Smisek would have ruled unions illegal, so pilots would have to shut up or risk losing their jobs (at a minimum).

To investigate the above mentioned problem at Emirates, Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum can just call himself up and say, "Self, are there any problems at Emirates with their flight crews, and my, you're looking good today!"

"Thanks Sheikh. You're looking good today too! I just did a thorough investigation of myself and found no problems."

"I thought so Sheikh. D**n those WSJ reporters with their free press. They had no idea what they were talking about!"

"Yes Sheikh, I know! By the way, while I have you on the phone, please keep another 2.4 Billion handy just in case our fuel hedges go sour again in the future, OK?

"No problem Sheikh, you handsome devil! I keep some pocket change like that around just for the occasion! No worries!"

"Thanks Sheikh, good bye!"

"Too-da-loo Sheikh! Talk to you soon!"

It's good to be the Sheikh.