Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Regional > Endeavor Air
Any "Latest & Greatest" about Endeavor? >

Any "Latest & Greatest" about Endeavor?

Search
Notices
Endeavor Air Regional Airline

Any "Latest & Greatest" about Endeavor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 07:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

I will go out on a limb here and put my 2 cents in.

I have been with xj/9e/EDV for over a quarter century.
Also a Long time LCP/LCA.

The current book on the 900 is to leave the switch in at all times. However that is because the current thinking is the thingamajob (GCU) will do it's job. We all know that on the CRJ (well most other heavily CPU intensive aircraft as well I assume) the thingamajob does not ALWAYS work. How many times have we done a power down to fix a issue caused when some other thingamajb did not work as advertised.

If a MX person with a lot of experience says the potential is there for a "jolt" because they have gotten one...I believe them regardless what the book says.

So we operate the plane as the current book say's however keep in mind the book changes over time.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2014

I just don't get 'why'. Ok, the system should do its job and protect the aircraft, but isn't everything about safety and redundancy? What do we gain out of not pressing it compared to pressing it. Pressing it gives you one more level of protection, not pressing it... saves you a push?

If they want it that way, that's fine, I'll do it, but only once I get a memo or revision confirming it. Otherwise it will just be another moment of some captain going "why did you do that?".
Old 04-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: CRJ-700

Here is a stupid question. If they want you to leave the button pushed in, how do you get the plane to go dark when leaving the A/C after the last leg? And how do you prevent the A/C from sitting all night burning the screens when some ramper decides to plug in live ground power?
Old 04-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by Xelectro View Post
Here is a stupid question. If they want you to leave the button pushed in, how do you get the plane to go dark when leaving the A/C after the last leg? And how do you prevent the A/C from sitting all night burning the screens when some ramper decides to plug in live ground power?
No goofy, leave it pushed in when ac is disconnected like you're going to fly.

Yeah, mesaba left the planes on all day every day since 07.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2014

I'm going to go ahead and suggest the use of some good sense (ref. ADM) regarding ext. power switch manipulation on the CRJ 200/700/900. This is good for all airplanes that utilize ground power in this way as this is a very basic check. Of course this assumes that time or operational conditions require you to even need ground power in the first place.

This takes much longer to read than the few seconds to actually do so please, hang in there on this one!

So, you taxi into your assigned spot. One of your generators will be left running until your power gets plugged in. Don't just use the switchlight for verification, select and monitor the appropriate EICAS page. That way you'll know not only when it's plugged in, but most importantly if it's of the correct voltage and frequency and if it's stable. You'll also know if the switchlight's bulb is blown or a bit loose, short of doing a lamp test.

Now, assume all is looking good up to this point. Do -not- just throw that thrust lever to shutoff or ram that apu stop button. Leave it running for now. The stability of the ground power must be tested to avoid potential and unnecessary wear that will lead to a premature failure. This has nothing to do with the airplane "liking" it. The EICAS can show it good all day long; the system has no way of evaluating and warning of the stability of it. This is the pilot's job. Sometimes it will show on the EICAS by observing fluctuating readings, in which case you stop here and leave it alone until the passengers are off. If the display shows stable, continue as follows.

First ensure the ext. power switchlight is pressed in. Next, take your operating generator's switch and move it to "off/reset" to make the system logic switch to ground power. Keep your hand on the switch. Most importantly now, -wait about 5-10 seconds to see if the flow remains stable-.

I'll point out the critical op first. -If at any point you hear and see signs of the power flickering off and on, immediately move your operating generator's switch back on to restore a smooth flow of power to your system-. Leave it as is until the deplaning is complete and deal with it then. Rapid off/on power surges are incredibly damaging to your electrical system. Doing this minimizes that damage. You also don't want power issues while you have passengers aboard.

If the power turns out to be stable, -before you move the gen switch again- first shut down whatever is driving your on-board generator (engine/apu). Wait for the generator's output to drop sufficiently enough so system logic won't try to pick it up again, then move the gen switch to whatever your carrier's normal position for that switch is and you're done.

Congratulations, you just protected your electrical system! This only takes at most 5-10 seconds of your time so there's no good reason to omit it. Why should you care? Consider the following:

The most important reason to most pilots will be the delay it will cause if something breaks.

Got plans and would like to make your overnight on time? Last day and you're a commuter?

Less selfishly, do you care about your passenger's plans? What about your carrier's performance numbers?

What about the cost of repairs?

What about lost revenue due to lack of equipment?

Etc., etc, etc?

Remember, use good CRM/ADM (use APU, require a good GPU, hot ops [engine running], etc.). Take these terms seriously. They're not there as something to just "check the box" or ignore during initial/recurrent. Every possible situation is not in the book. That's why they hired you. Protect the airplane. Remember, at the very least it's your ride too.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Fun fact: you can start an engine perfectly fine with the Gen switches ON, packs ON, and fuel pumps OFF. I'm not even sure half of these switches are connected to anything.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by greenroute View Post
Fun fact: you can start an engine perfectly fine with the Gen switches ON, packs ON, and fuel pumps OFF. I'm not even sure half of these switches are connected to anything.
LOL!

And on the 200 you can start the engines with the packs on and theyll shutoff just like the 900s. Don't tell no one though! By gumb, if they find out they aren't flying a rocketship on the 200 you have to carefully manage like a manual transmissioned yugo, theyre inferiority complex will grow like the Grinch's heart.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017
Position: 2nd base
Default Jesuit Valen

"the uneducated word of mx"... thanks for the kind words and opinion of the maintenance group that supports your aircraft.. be sure to know I will spread your thoughts amongst the rest of us uneducated dumb****s in mx... I have 30 years in maintenance.. 6 years in military aviation... Operation Just Cause/Operation Desert Storm.. .. years in General Aviation.. and 20 years at Express I/Mesaba/Pinnacle/Endeavor... and many of my uneducated fellow AMTs have similar if not more distinguished resumes... you are entitled to your opinion as uneducated as yours may be.. You should be moved right to the front of the SSP line and take that attitude to mainline.. you would fit right in.. Good day sir
Old 04-02-2017, 11:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by APMechXJ View Post
"the uneducated word of mx"... thanks for the kind words and opinion of the maintenance group that supports your aircraft.. be sure to know I will spread your thoughts amongst the rest of us uneducated dumb****s in mx... I have 30 years in maintenance.. 6 years in military aviation... Operation Just Cause/Operation Desert Storm.. .. years in General Aviation.. and 20 years at Express I/Mesaba/Pinnacle/Endeavor... and many of my uneducated fellow AMTs have similar if not more distinguished resumes... you are entitled to your opinion as uneducated as yours may be.. You should be moved right to the front of the SSP line and take that attitude to mainline.. you would fit right in.. Good day sir
It was referencing pinnacle which was made clear in my sentence. Furthermore it was referencing an entire mindset we've washed away that was present, identified and eliminated and most of us cheered. If you have some resentment to those days because you were here, glad you're still with us but you're being obtuse. If you're new and you misunderstood my statement above, fine. If you're gonna be upset, and youve been triggered, please fill out a form with HR on how youre feewwings were hurt.

I will be at mainline soonish, where im sure the mechanics will follow the book. I assumed you were new saying youll rush to order new parts because of a procedure weve done since the beginning. Since you're an old timer, look at our books sometime.

Also, use the quote fuction sweetheart, sometimes while you're referencing what the other guy said in the response youll realize, "oh I see what he meant."
Old 04-02-2017, 11:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by APMechXJ View Post
Thought the same thing, I'm a pilot not a robot, if I'm not mistaken, a button is meant it be pressed in and out, as if it was made that way with a purpose, I know that idiots are strong up at Bombardier, but I think they got it right with the way they built it, sometimes you gotta think outside the box of books or an lca, it's been working fine pushing it in and out. So when it does, and someone knows the airplane a lot better than a pilot, like a mechanic as much as people wanna s--- on them; they very smart people who know a heck of a lot more about the ins and outs of the mechanical side of your craft, I'll be wise to listen instead of going off some training department expirament. I was taught to never use thrust reverser above idle at awac unless it's a emergency for stopping power. I knew that wouldn't always work and said hogwash to myself about it. Try landing 26 in PHL going off what a book or LCA says about the TRs and see how it works out. Do what you think is best and safest practice. Can't believe there is 3 pages about whether or not to push a Button in or out. APmechxj, thanks for keeping our airplanes safe, as I stated earlier, I have to utmost respect for a&p's. Through my dad I've seen the hard work and dedication they put in to their work. there are too many people out here that like to ride on their high horse becuase ones salary is higher than another.

Last edited by prex8390; 04-02-2017 at 11:59 AM.