Brazilian Mid-Air News

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Hey forum, My first post here

There has been some recent reporting in the brazilian press that the Legacy's transponder was turned off and it's pilots were aware of this after the collision.

I think we all should wait for the official accident investigation report, so I won't bother copying the text from the news source that I saw, but if you read portuguese, go to www.globoonline.com.br
Quote: Hey forum, My first post here
Welcome!

Tom
Yes nice to have you!
Quote: Hey forum, My first post here

There has been some recent reporting in the brazilian press that the Legacy's transponder was turned off and it's pilots were aware of this after the collision.

I think we all should wait for the official accident investigation report, so I won't bother copying the text from the news source that I saw, but if you read portuguese, go to www.globoonline.com.br

As most of the reports coming out of Brazil have been this one also isn't true. I have significant inside information into this situation and all I can say now is when the truth does come out the Brazilian government will be embarrassed.
Radar and radio coverage in that area is not exactly good. It is odd that TCAS did not provide enough warning to avoid this accident, or did it?
Trasponder on the Legacy was inoperative that is all I can say.
I don't know if this is true, but what i heard, is that the Legacy was at the wrong flight level. I'm not saying the brazilia pilots should be terribly punished, because it was an accident. But regardless of their transponder being on or having no radar coverage being at the correct FL would ensure that this would not happen. Of course I feel bad for the Pilots for being put through whatever is going down in Brazil. But, i was just wondering if anyone could confirm if they were at the wrong FL or not?
All I know is I would have a hard time going back to Brazil for the trial...try and make me...you know what I mean???
Quote: I don't know if this is true, but what i heard, is that the Legacy was at the wrong flight level. I'm not saying the brazilia pilots should be terribly punished, because it was an accident. But regardless of their transponder being on or having no radar coverage being at the correct FL would ensure that this would not happen. Of course I feel bad for the Pilots for being put through whatever is going down in Brazil. But, i was just wondering if anyone could confirm if they were at the wrong FL or not?
NOT ...

They were at their ATC ASSIGNED ALTITUDE.

Which did happen to differ from their filed altitude ...

BIG DIFFERENCE ...
CactusCrew, Of course you are quite correct.

CAL EWR, It's interesting that there is so much coverage of the recordings and actions of the Legacy crew, yet why nearly nothing of the air traffic controllers, several of whom went out on medical leave for pychiatiric counseling after the accident (I can't recall where or when I read this).

I am not too optimistic about the final outcome of this investigation due to the Brazilian Air Force being responsible for the investigation.

I will post some of the VEJA (their version of Look) magazine
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to