Hiring Process Question

Subscribe
Hi all,

Normally, I am a lurker, but have posted my fair share. Thanks to everyone who has provided their expertise.

Here's where I am at:

I have gone through a group interview for a pilot position. I meet and have all the qualifications (degree, ATP, etc). I have met with the Chief Pilot and we hit it off well. I have a sim eval coming up followed by a "meet the team" thing afterwards.

The first three steps I get. I'm not sure what to do with the last part. Anyone been through something similar? Is this the social part of the process? I'd rather not say the company, but let's just say that it is corporate and not an airline.

Thanks.

CD
An airline would have an agenda and specific things they'd be looking for. Consultants such as emerald coast could help you prep for that, and I would strongly advise that. A key point...if they ask a question that could lead to discussion of a negative (either a background event or personality trait), do not treat it as a "confessional". Answer the question honestly, but use the most benign example available to you.

Tell us about a time you violated FARs?
- Tell them about when inadvertently violated sterile descending through 10K.
- Don't bring up that time when the demanding boss pressured you to make four approaches and finally land below mins.

What is your biggest personal weakness?
- Tell how you can sometimes be a perfectionist, or maybe like to talk to much.
- Don't tell them about how you procrastinate, resent management, etc.

A large corporate operation might have a sophisticated enough HR group to have a similar agenda.

A smaller operation probably just wants to meet you, shoot the breeze, and decide if they want to hang out with you on a trip.
"Meet the team" allows existing people in the department to get a feel for your personality, and make an initial judgement if they'd want to be on the road with you for an extended trip.

For a 91 department, this step of the process is vitally important to recruit the "right" people, ie. pilots that will fit into the department's culture and personality.

In such a situation I'd simply be myself, while maintaining SA about where I was (ie. be mindful of language and comments, don't become TOO casual/comfortable, etc.).

Try to not overthink it too much, just be as relaxed as possible and get to know the other people in the department.

Remember, you are interviewing the department just as much as the department is interviewing you...
Thanks guys. Passed the sim eval. Group interview went well. Hopefully I should hear something in a week or two.