on board smartphone fire

Subscribe
Smartphone fire causes emergency landing | Flight Safety Australia
This is a perfect example of why all flight departments should perform a risk assessment on PED's (including EFB's) and how to mitigate the risks associated with Lithium-Polymer Battery fires. Many flight departments now carry Kevlar "Burn Bags" , Hot Gloves and extra water to douse the device. Halon only works temporarily!
We haven't seen the last of this...
At my company, if your EFB experiences thermal runaway, open the cockpit door, chuck it back, and hope the FAs successfully deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote: This is a perfect example of why all flight departments should perform a risk assessment on PED's (including EFB's) and how to mitigate the risks associated with Lithium-Polymer Battery fires. Many flight departments now carry Kevlar "Burn Bags" , Hot Gloves and extra water to douse the device. Halon only works temporarily!
Technically you need a Class D Extinguisher for an Li-Battery Fire, but like already stated a small PED Li-Fire can be overpowered by enough water.

I haven't seen a Class D on an A/C.

Btw, Halon only is rated for B &C Class fires.

Redthread's B-Annual Safety/Fire Response Training has the Crew Members assigned to First Class hold a champagne bucket (filled with water) and hopes the FO has a good aim.

Btw: All Ya'll probably have still at the bottom of your In Box or Spam Folder.

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviat...FO09013SUP.pdf

And transferring a burning item into a Burn Bag is not recommended by the all mighty F-A-A
Yeah, we dont have extinguishers for LI batteries on the 170/190. Basically need water or coffee to douse it, or so they claim. Dumb idea not to have one proper extinguisher IMO. Halon wont stop it at all.