"Contact Departure" barely airborne pet peeve

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to
This bother anyone else? ATC does an amazing job and I really respect them. But when they tell you to contact departure when you barely have the gear up it bothers me. Same with telling you where to exit and contact ground when you're still going 90 knots down the runway. Anyone else feel the same way?
Quote: This bother anyone else? ATC does an amazing job and I really respect them. But when they tell you to contact departure when you barely have the gear up it bothers me. Same with telling you where to exit and contact ground when you're still going 90 knots down the runway. Anyone else feel the same way?
Not really. I appreciate the early call when the initial altitude is 3,000ft
Quote: Not really. I appreciate the early call when the initial altitude is 3,000ft
Yeah actually that's a really good point. Better than having to level off
The departure doesn't bother me but I find it annoying when they issue runway turnoff instructions before the buckets are out and the nose is still in the air.
A lot of mil towers will tell you to switch to departure as you're taking the active runway to takeoff, but I do agree that getting a crazy taxi clearance while still doing 90 KTS on the runway is a little annoying. Especially when they get annoyed when you ask them to repeat it.
Quote: A lot of mil towers will tell you to switch to departure as you're taking the active runway to takeoff, but I do agree that getting a crazy taxi clearance while still doing 90 KTS on the runway is a little annoying. Especially when they get annoyed when you ask them to repeat it.
That's only used for fighters as their radio is channelized with the frequencies. At least it was when I was an AF controller.
Quote: The departure doesn't bother me but I find it annoying when they issue runway turnoff instructions before the buckets are out and the nose is still in the air.
Don't acknowledge any clearance if you're in a super-critical phase of flight (ie: TO roll, LDG roll.) Do your best to comply but when a tower issues complex taxi instructions and a ground frequency when I'm still in full reverse, I think it's better to remain silent until a safe airspeed (You hear that LGA?)
Quote: Don't acknowledge any clearance if you're in a super-critical phase of flight (ie: TO roll, LDG roll.) Do your best to comply but when a tower issues complex taxi instructions and a ground frequency when I'm still in full reverse, I think it's better to remain silent until a safe airspeed (You hear that LGA?)
^^^ THIS

As a former controller I would anticipate this sometimes by adding" no need to acknowledge" if appropriate.
Same as above.

If I'm busy, I don't answer.

They can read the instructions again.
I agree, major pet peeve on landing when your still doing 80kts..
Like someone mentioned above, I do like it when we go to south of the border and the tower just tells you to contact departure once airborne. Leaves it to the crews discretion.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to